Grounding in old microphone

temon00

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 1976 Shure Commando 430, a controlled magnetic, hi-z mic to blow my harp into. It came with the required Amphenol MC2C 2 pin connector and the original cable, all of which were in working order when they arrived and sounded good out of my tube amp. I noticed, however, that there was a consistent buzzing when I moved my hand from the metal case to the plastic cartridge, so with a bit of info I found here (cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/392/us_pro_415_ug.pdf), I opened it up and found that the ground wire was snipped at the lead. It seems like a fairly easy fix: solder a new wire to the lead and run it to the ground pin on the cartridge. I have a couple of questions, though. 1) The sound when the buzz is going is a bit dirtier, and almost seems like a clean and overdrive channel, depending on hand position. Might someone have done this for a specific effect? 2) Is it dangerous for me or for my equipment? The answer to my issue seems obvious: just fix it. But I might just leave it if it's not dangerous. I appreciate any tips on this.

Thanks

Back