grounding for extension cord

viktor80

hi

I have 8 channels audio interface and all channels are constantly used. guitar is in one channel and I never disconnect it or switch it to another, same with keyboard and bass etc not from the interface end, not from the instrument end. but two wires is connected to the interface with female end to use it as extension cable for different instruments and this end is open when the instrument is not connected. it makes a noise and also as I know is not recommended keep wire with open end in the input and every time I have to disconnect it from the interface what is very inconvenient. I tried use TRS both mono/stereo adaptor just as a cap, to a certain extent it removes the noise but not completely like if you hold the end with hand what makes grounding. so I'm looking for some cap for this jack extension cable female ends if something exists specifically for this, but if not maybe I can do it myself ?

I'm not sure why you don't just mute that channel in the software...

Take a cheap cable that you don't really need and hack it in half. Strip back the outside insulation and you'll see the shield braid and one or two insulated wires. Strip back the insulation from those inner wires and twist all of the wires (shield braid included) together. Now when you plug the thing into your extender it will short the input and the noise should be gone. Solder and tape it off for extra credit. Or just get the appropriate plug and solder jumper wires between all of its lugs. Don't do this with XLRs cables carrying phantom power!

You could always plug something into it and not use it?

yes because it would be very inconvenient to connect and disconnect each time instrument which always connected with a both ends one in the interface input, other in instrument... another thing when the jack is in the interface but the other end is not plugged exactly what I'm trying to fix

Yeah, just mute the channel or unplug the cable. Doesn't seem like any more work than some type of 'plug' for the end of the cable. Maybe I just don't understand...

I'm not sure why you don't just mute that channel in the software...

Take a cheap cable that you don't really need and hack it in half. Strip back the outside insulation and you'll see the shield braid and one or two insulated wires. Strip back the insulation from those inner wires and twist all of the wires (shield braid included) together. Now when you plug the thing into your extender it will short the input and the noise should be gone. Solder and tape it off for extra credit. Or just get the appropriate plug and solder jumper wires between all of its lugs. Don't do this with XLRs cables carrying phantom power!

yes it works

thank you

Yeah, just mute the channel or unplug the cable. Doesn't seem like any more work than some type of 'plug' for the end of the cable. Maybe I just don't understand...

I can mute it from software of course too but in some cases for me it's not more convenient than disconnect the wires from the interface...

Back