Ground loop in bass track.

formerlyfzfile

O.K.

So I recorded a some bass tracks .... single track (per song) of combined DI and mic.

And I didnt hear how prominent it was while tracking but there is a substatial ground loop noise.

There was a really bad ground loop when we 1st set up the rig but we changed cords and plugged the amp a filtered power strip.

This took care of the noise to the point where, comparitavely, I just said ...."oh good. Thats taken care of."

Now I am kicking myself for not really re-checking more scrupulously before blowing thru 9 tracks.:eek: :eek::eek:

So here I am...............

My Roland VS880vX has a dedicated 60hz (and 50hz) hum eliminator effect and when inserted (the 60hz one) it cleans up the noise very nicely.

BUT....... the bass track then loses all of its power.

I am uncertain how the hum eliminator works in the 880 but the sound difference is drastic enough where it deffinitely does more than narrowly notch out 60hz.

Its like it shelves everything below like ...... 160 or something.

It's a bad enough hum where in a few of the song intros its pretty noticable ....... but the bass track just wont due with the hum eliminator engaged.

It just kills the tone.

I could dump the bass into Sound Forge or CEP but I was hoping to only dump the final mix into SF for "mastering" and burning.

HELP!.

-mike

Make sure you're not near a computer monitor or florescent light with single coil pups. You could try a parametric eq with a narrow Q setting. You might be able to isolate the hum, with out drasticaly changing the sound.

Thanks guys....

Dyson ..... not my rig but it better not be...... its a brand new $1000 Warwick.

Grinder ..... when we had the 1st round of noise (loud, obvious noise) we turned off all of the lights and computer.
I unfortunately just made the assumtion that it was take care of completely as I listened and dialed in the sound along with the mix.

Thats what my big error was..... I never went back a solo'd the track and gave a critical listen.
We just got a real good mix'd sound almost from the start and I figured if we were that close we were good to go.

That'll learn me.

The band thinks I'm crazy for getting all up tight about it but it bugs the shit outta me.

2 extra double checking seconds and we coulda gotten "great bass sound man!!!" instead of "great bass sound man ..... except for that little bit of ground noise." :mad:

NY Morningstar ...... I know.
The bass player said he would be willing to do the tracks over but ........ even though they are cool with the pace of the project in general, I think it would be a big momentum killer at this point.

Hopefully after we get some of the vocal tracks down we can redo some of the bass lines.

-mike

Back