Groove tubes - The Brick

Grim Ltd.

ok ... so who have tried The Brick preamp by Groove Tubes ?

How well does it work with dynamic and condenser mics ?
how well does it work as Bass DI ?
how about vocal tracking ? heavy guitar tracking ?

I seek for distinctable preamp with its own character - still high quality? The Brick is in my price range - so any recommendations ???

You know, I doubt you're going to get a flood of responses for this one.

I don't think there are very many people who have ever reported owning or using one. I don't know of any, in fact. Which is a shame, because it looks like it would be a really good one.

It might just bee poor marketing on GT's behalf, so if you wait on it, you might see the prices drop -- should they ever decide to discontinue the model, that is.

I have a couple Groove Tubes DITTO direct boxes and they sound great. The Brick is based on the DITTO, so I would expect it sounds excellent. Haven't heard it yet though.

You also may not get a lot of responses because the Brick is very new on the market and few people own it yet.

From the manufacturer's description, it sounds more like a DI with a mic preamp rather than a mic pre with a DI. They say that it's based on the same "thinking" that went into the Vipre which is obviously different than saying "based on the Vipre" or "using the same components as the Vipre." Sill, it looks like a handy device for stage and some studio work.

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

chessrock said:
It might just bee poor marketing on GT's behalf...

Poor marketing is right. The first think that pops into my mind is brick wall limiter--not tube-based DI or even preamp.

No, I actually paid real money for my DITTO's! But a friend of mine picked up a couple in that $199 GC blowout. I like them so much it didn't even bother me, oddly enough.

QUOTE:

"They say that it's based on the same "thinking" that went into the Vipre which is obviously different than saying "based on the Vipre" or "using the same components as the Vipre."

Kind of semantics really, as I believe the same team designed the ViPRE, DITTO and now the Brick. The company is also headed by the same guy, who is very into his gear and how it sounds. So saying it is based on the same thinking as the ViPRe is probably accurate.

I was at the GT factory when they were designing the BRICK and saw a prototype. It looked basically like a modified DITTO at that point. But they worked on it for a long time after that, so I know it's not just a quicky spinoff product. Seems like they take a lot of time tweaking to get the sound the way they want it. I'd like to hear a BRICK, as the DITTO is a superb DI.

SonicAlbert said:
Kind of semantics really, as I believe the same team designed the ViPRE, DITTO and now the Brick. The company is also headed by the same guy, who is very into his gear and how it sounds. So saying it is based on the same thinking as the ViPRe is probably accurate.

I'm not trying to attack Groove Tubes; I'm just tired of the industry in general. Even the nice guys in small shops sometimes play fast and loose with language. One common approach is to associate a comparatively inexpensive product with a piece of high end equipment made by the same manufacturer. I could be wrong but I doubt that the Brick will sound the same as the Vipre. That doesn't mean it's not a good piece of equipment or useful in the studio. It just concerns me that "semantics" will lead to the impression that you can buy a similar product, save +1k, and get the same results. You are entirely correct that "based on the same thinking" is accurate; I just feels misleading. Again, no disrespect to Groove Tubes.

You are probably correct in saying that the Brick will not sound the same as the Vipre, but GT is not claiming that it will either. If anything, I think in this case the language they chose was fairly conservative and accurate. It's companies like Behringer that claim high end performance that bother me.

In any case, when companies compare low cost products to high end products, it's usually a pretty transparent strategy. The marketing and hype is easy to see. Also, it's often company A comparing their cheap product to company B's high end product. In this case, the Brick is from the same company as the Vipre and they clearly indicate it is the smaller product of the two.

The actual quote from the GT site is:

"The Brick uses engineering thinking of it's big brother the ViPRE. The ViPRE is now used in many major studios, as has many awards, nominations, and testimonials to it's own credit."

They aren't claiming it sounds the same as the Vipre, and the use of the words "it's big brother" indicates to me that they are clearly designating this the smaller product. I take the statement as simply being a way of saying that the same people designed the Brick as designed the Vipre. All in all, the actual quote seems quite conservative to me, and is buried at the end of a long page of information on the unit.

I understand how marketing hype claims can get a bit annoying after a while, but this particular instance seems so benign that for some reason it doesn't bother me. I suppose I've just gotten immune to being bothered by marketing hype any more.

The other element coming into play on this item is that the Brick so clearly resembles the DITTO that it's lineage is clear. It's not like they made it look like a "mini vipre".

Once again, I just have to say that the DITTO sounds absolutely incredible, it's a great product and I've been very happy with it. So if you need a preamp, don't hold their marketing against them, the Brick is probably worth taking a listen to.

What makes the Vipre unique is it's versatility and massive amounts of features.

I could see them pulling out a scaled-down version of it with far fewer features; no variable impedence, no variable slew rate, etc. etc. etc. as well as a few other shortcuts and just calling it "the Brick."

Not saying that's the case, but it is feasible.

When you think of it, the M-Audio Tampa could also be considered as being in the "same lineage," as it was designed by Aspen Pittman and distributed by M-Audio when they still marketed the Groove Tubes line.

Back