Groove Tubes 'The Brick' or Joe Meek oneQ ?

hemmick reef

Well I actually have 'The Brick' preamp and I was wondering what sort of difference I would hear to my vocals through a channel strip like the oneQ, using a Groove Tubes 67 valve mic and an SM57?

Thanks

Well ... given the fact that you'd have EQ, compression, enhancer, and de-esser (with the OneQ) ... I would say that you could potentially hear a very drastic difference.

I have a UAD-1 card which can do most of the eq & compression but I am wondering if the channel strip will have a different quality more suited to tracking?

The Brick has some asymmetrical distortion when you get the level up around 2 or 3 o'clock, but this helps give it a nice fat sound. The D.I. alone is worth the price.

The OneQ is a wonderful coloring box. It's a unique sound shaping tool.

I have a UAD-1 card which can do most of the eq & compression but I am wondering if the channel strip will have a different quality more suited to tracking?

Depends on how you prefer to work. If you like to commit early and get things like EQ and compression dialed on the way in ... then it would be much more suitable. But given the fact that you shelled out some money on a UAD card, then I'm assuming you're probably more of a plugin guy ... in which case, any benefits of using a channel strip would likely be lost.

The Brick has some asymmetrical distortion when you get the level up around 2 or 3 o'clock, but this helps give it a nice fat sound. The D.I. alone is worth the price.

The OneQ is a wonderful coloring box. It's a unique sound shaping tool.

Excellent analysis, caveat is knowing how to use these tools, you can wreck a picture easily by using too many colors

the brick is a one trick pony. keep that in mind. Condenser mics and bass DI are the tricks. Not a lot of gain for dynamics.

Thanks for the replies - got a bit lost on the last few posts though:rolleyes:

So will it sound different enough to make an improvement - bigger smoother vocal sound?:)

Thanks for the replies - got a bit lost on the last few posts though:rolleyes:

So will it sound different enough to make an improvement - bigger smoother vocal sound?:)
Ahhh, now you're entering into "slippery slope" territory. An "improvement"? "Bigger"? "Smoother"?

"Different"? Yes, it will definitely sound different. Sadly, only you can judge if that difference is an improvement. Without hearing your voice, knowing your mic locker and room, or your recording chain, nobody here can advise you much further.

Back