Groove Tubes GT55

agrafuese

Hey guys this is my first post, so hopefully I make a good impression ;)

I was looking for a decent vocal mic (with the possibility of other applications) and just bought a GT55 today. It only cost me $200 (my friend works at the music shop), so I decided to buy it over the RODE NT-1 that I originally had my eye on. So I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with both side-by-side (please, no hearsay) and could tell me if I made a good decision. I just got home and it's 1:00am right now, so I don't think I'll be testing it out tonight to see if I like it, but I just wanted to get some personal thoughts about it and see if I was missing anything by not buying the NT-1.

Thanks guys!

-Agra

P.S. If it matters, my singer is mid-to-high in his range...

Don't know about the rode but I can tell you I didn't like the GT55 on vocals. I like brighter mics though.

I have gt55. I think it is great for vocals. For me a lot better that Rode Nt1 I have. I realy don't like the NT1 much for anything. Maybe drum OH in a pinch. I fair just ok as acc. instr. mic.

I have a GT-55 and I like it on vocals, but I love it on electric guitar!!!!! I usually use my Neumann for vocals but sometimes a darker sounding mic is just what the doctor order for a situation.....The mic is very clear and has a nice "unboosted" high end detail and tight low end....maybe slightly scooped mids......I would keep it, I paid $300 for mine.

DonGraham said:
I have a GT-55 and I like it on vocals, but I love it on electric guitar!!!!! I usually use my Neumann for vocals but sometimes a darker sounding mic is just what the doctor order for a situation.....The mic is very clear and has a nice "unboosted" high end detail and tight low end....maybe slightly scooped mids......I would keep it, I paid $300 for mine.
That is an exact description of the GT55. Hey, I'm getting an NEUMANN U87 that was from the Hit Factory hopefully Thursday. I am going to compair it to the GT55. Lets see how it compairs.

Awesome guys, thanks for the comments. I'll be testing the mic out on our singer soon, so we'll see how it goes. Neumann U87...hmmm :D Can't wait to hear about it.

I haven't used the GT55, but I do own the GT66 (tube version). It's in another league than the NT-1A (I only go to try the anniversary model). So much smoother, richer, more detail without being harsh. It's not so much a darker mic but nuetral. Fantastic on clean electric guitar and as the over-the-shoulder mic to complement the 12th fret SDC for AC gtr.

Back