Gretsch...

Salabim

I've just been checking out a whole stack of mid-priced kits...im in the market for a new kit in the near future...and i came across the Gretsch Catalina Elite...i never really new anything about Gretsch kits...does anyone own one? are they any good compared to you Pearls & Tamas etc...

Cheers
Tim

Gretsch has been around quite a while and have always offered excellent drums to the market. Their vintage gear is some of the greatest sounding stuff I've heard. The catalina's are some good sounding drums, even though they are starting to make them the third world way. But, a lot of stuff (in the drumming world) that is made in third world factories is getting better and better. So, to answer your question, I would go with the Gretsch's. Stick some nice heads on those and I think you'll be very happy. Especially if you're other choices are Export and Rockstar. However, if you're deciding between Sessions (pearl), Starclassics (tama), and Catalinas the choice won't be so easy, but in that group you'll most likely be happy with any choice you make. Seeya. Tell us what you decide on.

As was previously posted, Gretsch has a long history of good drums and the older Gretsch are great sounding and much in demand.

I recently saw a band who's drummer had a Catalina kit. Even though it is a lower line kit, it still had that "warm Gretsch sound". Unfortunately, my band was working the same hotel in a different room, so I did not get a chance to talk to the drummer about what heads, he was using, etc. etc. - but in any case the drums sounded good.

Based on what I heard, I certainly would think they would be a good bet compared to the Exports and other "low to mid range" drums

Back