Greetings All + Help with amp settings

Locking Nut

Hey all this is my first post. I'm 26, been playing over a year under two and I'm a Metal head.

I have a brand new AVT100 combo and although I'm impressed with the general sound I'm having trouble nailing the exact tones I'd like. I'm a bit of a newbie and this is only my second amp so when it doesn't sound right I'm not sure which knobs to tweak. My guitar is an Ibanez RG450DX LE.

If anybody else here has an AVT could you give me some settings you have for me to work off/try them out?

The sounds I'd like are: 80's Maiden, 80's Metallica, cowboys-vulgar era Pantera all for rhythm and I wanna get a nice heavy metal solo sound too, my favourite solo tones would prolly be Randy Rhoads and all the top guys but I know I won't get close with a cheap amp so I'm not asking for that :)

For anybody that doesn't have an AVT that wants to help these are the available knobs to tweak: Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Mid-scoop (on or off), Presence and the choice of two Overdrive channels. One is more rock the other is more metal.

If nobody can give me any exact settings could you give me some advice on how to get good sounds, ie turn treble up for clearer lead for example (dunno if that's right but just an example).

Sorry for the long post (my first one too).

Learn to play the songs on the clean channel and then you will understand why they work on the overdrive channel.

well, one thing i can tell you is that metallica (especially pre "and justice" stuff) was pretty high on the midrange it sounded like. but stuff like pantera seems to have quite a bit of the midrange scooped out.

depends what sound you want i guess. for metal its usually distortion (or gain) on 10, bass up high, mids kinda low, and highs up but not too much to make it brittle.

Hey, I'm not so much a metal head but I used to be. The previous response is close to what I would recommend. That is, 6-8 low, 2-4 mid, 6-8 highs. I never liked distortion all the way up as it just got cloudy (i had a crap amp at the time). One thing that is important to think about is that most of the metal music you hear is played with the amp UP. Its hard to get a real raw sound at low volumes. Another tip, turn guitar volume up to 7-8 range so that you are kicking as much juice as possible to the amp to begin with. I hold back from a 10 (or 11) on the guitar just for control. The first response also has a good point-

It has a master volume so I can put the channels volume all the way up.

I learn to play everything clean first, I'm not quite sure what he meant by that remark.

Don't worry about it.

Put all the EQs to the middle and add or subtract add needed. Thats the best thing I can say for EQ.

For distortion, I would suggest not overdoing it on the preamp gain. That will give a tighter sound. People use more than needed and just muddy up the sound into a blurry noise with no definition.

Back