Green day cover - Good Riddance (its been a while since I last posted)

CMolena

Hey guys, hope you're all doing fine.
Its been a while, maybe a few months since I last posted, so Im planning on recording more stuff in the coming months...lets see.
I recorded this Green Day cover with one mic, and found that recording vocals + acoustic guitar its not actually as easy as it seems...I mean you have to balance your performance, mainly strumming, a lot! Anyway can guys give me a feedback on this? Performance and mixing wise? Any feedback is going to be appreciated.
The mic is a Rode NT2A and I pointed it directly at my head.

thanks!!!

ok this would sound better if you played the guitar part in open position as it's recorded. First it will allow the notes to ring out between changes and sound alot smoother than barre chords, also it will be alot easier to sing and play it in open position. But why don't you track the acoustic first to a click and then overdub the vocals then you can really focus on the vocals?

This is really cool. Nice to hear an acoustic cover of a Green Day song. You have a really nice singing voice as well. I used to listen to the song "walking contradiction" a lot when I was younger and would try to play it on the acoustic guitar!

Were you only using one mic because thats all you have or was it a kind of challenge to yourself? If I were recording this I would use two mics, one pointed at your mouth and one pointed at the guitar (and position them much closer than you seem to have done).

You could (and maybe should) also follow packrobottom's advice and track the guitar and vocal seperately which is a pretty common way to go and makes the mix much easier to get sounding right.

Back