Green-body symetrix 528

teainthesahara

So i guess im on a bit of a symetrix kick.

I found locally for sale an old symetrix 528. Out of all the one's i've seen though, this is the first with an all green construction.
Were these the first units in production? Are they the same as the blue/grey 528 (without the "e")?

I looked it up on the net and found this picture:

Attachments

• symetrix 528 greenface.jpg
    symetrix 528 greenface.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 132
looks like my old 528, except mine's blue.

it's a great little vocal channel (and i also really like it on acoustic and snare), and as long as it works, i can't imagine you being upset with picking it up.

out of curiousity, how much do they want for it?

wade

Wade,

they want 190$ CND. I think it's in working order too, im gonna go check. I've heard nothing about good reviews for the 528; is it correct to assume that this is just a cosmetic difference?

T

I can't tell you definitively if it's purely cosmetic or not.

what i CAN tell you is that i absolutely love my 528, as do a number of people around here. i think the bottom line is that if it sounds good, then it IS good, ya know?

and at $190CAN, you can't beat that. They go for that (or more) in $US around here. $190CAN is what, $7US? :D

if it's in good working order and you can afford it, i'd recommend you grab it. you'll find SOME use for it. i like mine on snare, kick and acoustic guitar (an SP B1 sounds really nice through it), in addition to use on vocals.

cheers,
wade

The cool part is they don't actually look nearly as ugly as they do in pictures. :D

Yea, it's a great box. I have two of them in my rack that I use almost exclusively on kick and snare.

i have an sx202 which i believe has about the same pre stage as the NON e 528s... the one you are looking at.

as chessrock says... they are great on kick and snare-- if you use the right mics. the symetrix pres (especially post mod) are pretty on par with any old more expensive pre around, except they have a false "clearness" to them.

this sometimes translates to "thin"

(dont get scared off though, i love them)

anyway, i think this slight "thinness" works REALLY well on close micing snare and kick. especially with dynamic cardiod and hypercardiod mics... sort of takes away just a hair of the proximity effect that can translate to "muddy" if you use another pre.

and there is something about the pres that really cut through as well.

not much agression in the mids though... which some people like on drum pres. i dont think this is much of an issue, cause it just frees me up to use more agressive mics.

the symetrix pairs well with ribbons by the way. great with 57s... stuff like that. with my ev 408... sweet!

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

You guys need to shutdafukup about symetrix stuff.......At least till I buy the two I have my eye on right now(both metal toggle 501's)(both under $75us)

Deal???

bytheway....the 528 is a great unknown in the studio world....well at least it was.......the 525's are also quite the pieces as is the 201,501 and others which I'm not gonna talk about just yet.

Most of their stuff has been in large roadworthy FOH systems for many years.A lot still is.

Next we're gonna hear about the frikkin Valley People stuff and it'll go up in price too...........shiest

BTW....that picture looks like a 528 thats been in a bar PA all its life....lots of 'tan'

cavedog101 said:
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

You guys need to shutdafukup about symetrix stuff.......At least till I buy the two I have my eye on right now(both metal toggle 501's)(both under $75us)

Deal???

bytheway....the 528 is a great unknown in the studio world....well at least it was.......the 525's are also quite the pieces as is the 201,501 and others which I'm not gonna talk about just yet.

Most of their stuff has been in large roadworthy FOH systems for many years.A lot still is.

Next we're gonna hear about the frikkin Valley People stuff and it'll go up in price too...........shiest

BTW....that picture looks like a 528 thats been in a bar PA all its life....lots of 'tan'

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Deal!

Back