Great Starting Keyboard..help

mribnik

Hi, I played piano for 3 years long ago and am interested in getting a keyboard and get started up again. I noticed the huge price disparity between keyboards and I was wondering what good, solid starting keyboards are available. Thank you in advance for replying!

mribnik said:
Hi, I played piano for 3 years long ago and am interested in getting a keyboard and get started up again. I noticed the huge price disparity between keyboards and I was wondering what good, solid starting keyboards are available. Thank you in advance for replying!

Need the info...

What kind of music do you play? What price range? How many keys? Weighted action?

I really don't know much about these things, I apologize. I don't play anything in particular, I'm just going to take it step by step until I get good, and if I'm still interested, by a more expensive Keyboard. In terms of how many keys, I'd prefer 88. I really know nothing about keyboards, I'm sorry. Basically, the keyboard that is closest to a regular piano is probably what I'm looking for. Just something to get me going. Any extra features are nice, but not necessary. I don't know what weighted action is (weighted keys?). If it allows me to play the most like a regular piano that would be great. Essentially, I want a keyboard that most resembles a piano. Sorry I'm so vague but I don't have much information on the topic. Oh, and price. $400 is probably my max for this. If there is one that is significantly better for a little more, I'll consider that too. Like I said, if I really enjoy it, and want to continue to get better, or enjoy playing a particular type of music, I'll look into getting a more expensive one when the time comes. Thanks for replying, and thanks in advance for any other info you provide!

Oh, and I'm not sure if they all come with this, or not, but I would prefer a Digital Optical output so I could connect it to my sound card.

If you want something that kinda feels/plays like a piano, you need weighted keys/action. This means, your keys are heavier to play, not just pieces of plastic with a spring in there.

So you need weighted action. Weighted action is expensive, and mostly comes in 88 key or 77 key models. The cheapest way to get this is buying a weighted controller (no sounds in there, just midi), and buying a seperate module for sounds.

Synths/keyboards with weighted action are always the biggest ($$) keyboard in the range. So you'll pay for that. But it's worth it, in my opinion. Certainly if you're used to a piano.

On the other hand, if it's really that long ago, you might be satisfied with half-weigthed or ordinairy springloaded keys...

Thanks for your reply. I think I know a little bit more about what I need. Are there any companies that you like best. It seems like a lot of people prefer Yamaha. Anything you would recommend for me?

Back