Great"Sounding"Music

penfloor95

Dear Forum,

I have a very small project studio, which comprises of an Alesis QS6.1, My Computer, and Tascam Analog 4 track recorder.
I am looking to do a little buying within the next couple of weeks, and I am debating on what the next item should be.
I have narrowed it down to a couple of items that I think will ensure that the mixdown is Beautiful "Sounding" if not anything else.
I would like to eventually go to CD, but I won't afford that now.
My choices are a compressor/limiter with Gate, an aural exciter, or stereo processor.
Which one of the items should I be looking into as far as clear, and great "sounding" music, or should I say what will help the most?

What kind of mics do you have? If you don't have a good mic or two I'd start with that. Go to the microphone forum and read some posts. at kind of instruments/ type of music you will be recording as far as what processors would be the best for you now. You could get a compressor/limiter/expander/gate I think Beheringer makes one. (an aural exciter is basicly the same as an expander)

If you are recording direct from you synth you can forget the mic. If not, as James said -a good mic.
From there I would move to a compressor/limiter/gate.

A expander is not really the same as a exciter.

Exciter - Adds presence by boosting high Freq's
Actully by boosting harmonics.

Expander - is kind of like a gate but smoother.
They can also help restore dynamics killed by a compressor.

I agree, spend the money on mikes.

If you don't need those, get the compressor.

Aural exciters aren't needed by anyone, in my opinion.

So,
I guess all are in favor of a compressor. The music that I create is usually around the areas of hip hop/ Rock. I like a little guitar in there.
I also like a deep heavy bass, to really get the groove moving.
I am recording directly from my synthesizer.
So I don't think I will need a Mic, at this point. But it would good if I decide to record a little bit Accoustic guitar.
So I have narrowed it down to a compressor and a tape deck.
All in favor say I.

Since you have the computer already, Way don't you get a Audio card ( look for one that comes bundled with a multitrack recording software. Then you can use the effects that come with it ( I it doesn't have a compressor in it, shouldnt be to expensive to add as a plug in).
This way you have a good recording system, more control over your mixes and that will defenitly help your sound better then a single compressor.
There are some decent not to expensive cards out there.
Try your local music shop.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 02-19-2000).]

I am sorry to say it but nothing will ever sound Great unless you have a descent set of speakers to mix with. For my first cople of years recording music, I used earphones and stereo speakers to no avail. every thing always sounded flat and lifeless in the end until I bought some studio monitors. now every thing turns out super crisp during the mix and you can hear every little detail.

I agree with gearless.

If you are not happy with the sound outside of the studio or bedroom, wherever you record, and it sounds good when you are making it, it's because you don't have a good monitoring system.
Second depending on your instrument, it may not have that great of sound. If it is supposed to then maybe a good quality eq will bring it out.
Exciters and enhancers have there purpose.
They give a polish to dead sounding material and add life back into a live system that loses something along the way.
The best question I think to ask is "What don't I like about my sound?" Then we can help better.

Actually I didn't notice you have a QS6 Alesis. I use a S4 Plus. It is great. You have to dig deep though to get the best sound. General midi is the worst point of the Alesis stuff.......Just a thought.

Back