Great River MP-2NV or API 3124+

promesis

Black Knights of the 4H.
beyond the 2 additional channels of the API .. any opinions on a choice between them?

which would be a better compliment to 3 RNPs, 1 Sytek and 2 ART Pros?

I've owned both and used them alot...
both are pretty cool, but I like APIs stuff alot, plus the 5 year warranty is really attractive.

I'm in somewhat the same boat as you and am looking for pres to go w/ my Sytek. I see your not getting much action here (I think "most" people here are Geared towards $100-$200 budget stuff so I thought I'd see if this helps...

You may already know this but this community has much more info and users of Higher end gear. Here's One thread to check out & some searching will give you Tons more info on the type of Pres your seeking.

Great River was what I thought I'd go w/ but I also like the 3124+, the A-Designs Pacifica, and also the Sebtron (either 2 or 4 ch.) . I hope adding these 2 doesn't make it tougher for you... it seems like I change my mind daily. The Sebatron at the moment is #1 because I think it has more going on for it self for flavor and color along w/ my cleaner Sytek. Then it's a tie between the MP-2nv and Pacifica... w/ the API right there too. I'm in no hurry so it will probably end up being whatever I happen to get the best deal on.

Let me know what you think and Good Luck,
B.

I'm in somewhat the same boat as you and am looking for pres to go w/ my Sytek. I see your not getting much action here (I think "most" people here are Geared towards $100-$200 budget stuff so I thought I'd see if this helps...

OR, a lot of us have high end pres, but perhaps not experience with that particular pair. Some of us don't shout our mouths of on topics we don't have first hand experience in :) (not implying that you are, but a lot of people do).

OR, a lot of us have high end pres, but perhaps not experience

How good of you to come out of The Cave and take part in a discussion about Recording... At a Recording Forum no less. You were even able to emphasize the fact that many people here Don't have the Experience to give 1st hand advice.

Maybe you'll be granted a Merit Badge for such a well thought out informative Post.
Just like this one.... http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2678181#post2678181
Welcome to home recording. Trust me, it'll never sound as good as you want it, and the more you learn, the better your ears become, the more critical you'll be of your work, and the more you'll hate it.

Then going to a reputable studio with a reputable engineer do the recording starts to sound like a good idea.

Actually, not to be so gloomy, but it takes work\ and dedication.

Maybe that's why I pointed my Fellow Home Recording Bro to a place that might have a few more of those "Reputable Engineers" that are Dedicated and LOVE their work and have discussed these pieces of gear that you know nothing about.

*For the record... I love Home Rec.com. and feel indebted for the knowledge I've gained here. I try and give some back when I can. I Do know there are many good knowledgeable Engineers here so please don't take offense like this guy who spends most of his time on a Recording Forum talking about Masterbation in the Dragon Cave.

B.

I have both units. Both are great. I use the GR much more, as it is a bit more versatile. I love it on Vox, elec guitar, and it is an incredible bass DI. The GR has the ability to go from a fairly clean sound, to pretty ballsy, while the API needs the ATTY pads to get real ballsy.

What do you plan to record with them?

Another place to get into discussions of preamplifiers with some very picky people would be Lynn Fuston's 3db forum

Mr. Fuston is known for his gear comparison cds.

I've never used a great river or api. I know that the great river has one hell of a reputation and you probably couldn't go wrong with it.

My "sunday nice" mic pre is a buzz audio ma-2.2. It's a fast/clear/uncolored sound with a wide bandwidth.

Have you considered the 500 series rack style system? Once you purchase a suitable rack it lowers the cost of additional units as they can share a common power supply and casing. Great River, Buzz, Purple, Old School Audio, and of course API etc. make pres that will fit a 500 series rack.

thanks for all opinions..

This is kind of a long reply .. bear with me and if you can persist long enough there are some questions posed within that may be crucial.

I see your not getting much action here (I think "most" people here are Geared towards $100-$200 budget stuff so I thought I'd see if this helps...

You may already know this but this community has much more info and users of Higher end gear. Here's One thread to check out & some searching will give you Tons more info on the type of Pres your seeking.

Great River was what I thought I'd go w/ but I also like the 3124+, the A-Designs Pacifica, and also the Sebtron (either 2 or 4 ch.) . I hope adding these 2 doesn't make it tougher for you... it seems like I change my mind daily. The Sebatron at the moment is #1 because I think it has more going on for it self for flavor and color along w/ my cleaner Sytek. Then it's a tie between the MP-2nv and Pacifica... w/ the API right there too.
B.

Thanks Booda.. for your input; I have puttered around GS before and it does impart a lot of info.

There are conversations on this board about cheap gear - and expensive gear; I would tend to believe because the GS board is set up differently:
GS has a "High End" forum - whereas HR simply has "The Rack" etc. This alone may be responsible for this "schism". I doubt that the "High End" forum suffers through many threads about Behringer Mods, but probably suffers from a lot of the "eye poking" that is even happening in this thread. :mad:

That being said, I will make a conscious effort to visit that board as well.. especially the aforementioned "High End" - Moderated by Michael Wagener - nice!!

OR, a lot of us have high end pres, but perhaps not experience with that particular pair. Some of us don't shout our mouths of[f *spelling] on topics we don't have first hand experience in :) (not implying that you are, but a lot of people do).

Point taken, thanks fraserhutch .. and those "people" are not too difficult to recognize or ignore... sometimes it is amusing how folks get all freakie and posturing pecking around the hen house like a new rooster in the coop! :D

How good of you to come out of The Cave and take part in a discussion about Recording... At a Recording Forum no less. You were even able to emphasize the fact that many people here Don't have the Experience to give 1st hand advice.

Maybe you'll be granted a Merit Badge for such a well thought out informative Post.
Just like this one.... http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2678181#post2678181

Maybe that's why I pointed my Fellow Home Recording Bro to a place that might have a few more of those "Reputable Engineers" that are Dedicated and LOVE their work and have discussed these pieces of gear that you know nothing about.

*For the record... I love Home Rec.com. and feel indebted for the knowledge I've gained here. I try and give some back when I can. I Do know there are many good knowledgeable Engineers here so please don't take offense like this guy who spends most of his time on a Recording Forum talking about Mast[u* spelling]rbation in the Dragon Cave.

B.

Booda.. I appreciate your initial attitude and timbre with regard to this thread.. however, this was as helpful as those posts and posters that are the target of your venom. Its even worse when you invite others, whom have come here for knowledge and opinion, to leave this thread and go to another - simply to "re-live" or "re-animate" some machinations I and most others, care very very little about. I am disappointed that this is what you have chosen to contribute after such a helpful opening. Maybe there is some "history" I am unaware of - whatever, I have little interest in these matters... but more to the point, thanks so much for some solid leads and more "trouble" with the introduction of the Pacifica and Sebatron! Which has added hours of new discovery and options!! :rolleyes:

What is your analysis of the Portico line?

I have both units. Both are great. I use the GR much more, as it is a bit more versatile. I love it on Vox, elec guitar, and it is an incredible bass DI. The GR has the ability to go from a fairly clean sound, to pretty ballsy, while the API needs the ATTY pads to get real ballsy.

What do you plan to record with them?

NL5 .. thanks, I was headed more towards the GR myself.. I caught myself falling into that "old mindset" .. "this has 4 channels - that has 2 .. 4 is more than 2 .. 4 is better than 2" .. not "logical" but "reasonable". That is the mindset that plagues the "lo end consumer's thought and decision taking process". A process that I have philosophically abandoned. The API (again this is from a culmination of varying opinions and experiences of others) is very clean and the GR is better at gain staging for different colors. I already have 3 RNPs and a Sytek to come soon. These are pretty much what most consider to be "clean" and "transparent". The addition of the next pieces would need to satisfy a desire for color (but transparent enough to stack tracks) and exceed my previous budget restraints. Kind of what I thought when I hit the "buy" button with the Sytek .. I said "this is the last 'prosumer' piece I am getting .. for now on it is going to be different". :p

Now to your question.. for what am I to use them?
Most likely drums. My project studio is basically for my band. I have little interest in capturing the sounds of others right now. That being said, my band is not your typical band - we are a three piece instrumental "math-rock" band. Hyper technical, odd - compound rhythms, dynamics .. etc. Kind of like Mahavishnu / King Crimson / Zappa meets Bad Brains.. if that makes any sense (Rush "Caress of Steel" played backwards with random 16th notes taken out .. very "hurky jerky" .. super clean jazz fusion then explodes in total odd timed heavy freak outs) .. epic sound journeys.

My drummer plays a Yamaha Recording kit with single kick, 4 toms and all kinds of little do-dad diddlies - like a remote hi-hat with a huge china bottom and a small wuhan on top .. neat timbres! Currently I have it miked thusly:
Kick: ATM45 - RNP into HD2400.
Snare: SM57 - RNP
Toms: miked in pairs with AT4033 - RNP
Overheads: Oktava MK-012-01 - RNP
HiHat/Ride: both with Shure BG-1 - ART ProChannels (NOS Telefunken installed)

So.. when the Sytek comes in I was thinking of using the 3 - 4 w/BBs for the OHs.. then 1 - 2 on HH and Ride.

In live practice sessions I mike my vintage Marshall JMP100 stack with 2 SM57s going into the Mic Pres of my Mackie 32/8 :-)eek: yuck) ..
Roland Guitar Synth / Samples through rack mounted D.I. into board.

The same with my Bassist - uses 6 string bass w/ Eden WT-800 with Eden 4x10w/Horn full-range on top - vintage SUNN 2x15 bottom. Both miked with SM57s a couple of line outputs (one from his Eden Head, the other from a GT-8 floor unit).

This is for live recording - but for actual project recording we would track at different times - freeing up the mics and pres for better coverage ( I have a one room recording environment - so isolation is "not happening".)

Eventually, I will want all of the new additions to facilitate live recording with all external pres. Using the new gear for drum tracks and bumping the RNPs and Sytek down to the stringed instruments and D.I. signals.

I am glad you brought up the Attenuating Pad needs of the API.
I have a question about that - it may be better to post in a separate thread - but I will pose it here anyway.

The inputs to the RNPs are very sensitive (as with the Syteks I have heard - maybe even more sensitive .. so this is really crucial) on a couple tracks I have them turned down all the way in order to send the optimum levels to the HD2400 - there is no Pad on the RNP and Sytek ..

Would it be better to get some inline pads to attenuate these levels so that the pres are pushed harder or is the signal quality pretty consistent at these low levels?

Another place to get into discussions of preamplifiers with some very picky people would be Lynn Fuston's 3db forum
Mr. Fuston is known for his gear comparison cds.
I've never used a great river or api. I know that the great river has one hell of a reputation and you probably couldn't go wrong with it.
My "sunday nice" mic pre is a buzz audio ma-2.2. It's a fast/clear/uncolored sound with a wide bandwidth.

Have you considered the 500 series rack style system? Once you purchase a suitable rack it lowers the cost of additional units as they can share a common power supply and casing. Great River, Buzz, Purple, Old School Audio, and of course API etc. make pres that will fit a 500 series rack.

Mr. Antrobus.. thanks. A cool addition to BBs that folks would be better to check out - the truth is the whole. The 500 series looks pretty promising. Looked into some of these but was curious about the power supply needs/costs - you, in one sentence, answered it all. The Porticos will fit this as well, correct? However, they wouldn't need the power supply so their candidacy in the rack would be a non sequitor (so that answers that eh?) :p

Again, thanks for all of the input.

Just a parting thought about the experience/non-experience as it relates to fact. It is indeed possible to instruct and convey fact without personal first hand knowledge. For example, it is quite possible for someone to know that a SM57 is a good general use dynamic mic - even if they had never seen one. They are not "wrong" are they? The Sytek is clean and pretty transparent with sensitive inputs .. I don't have this unit yet - and have absolutely no first hand knowledge of it - but would I be wrong to advise others of these attributes? I am not a Crack Whore .. but I don't have to be one to know that it is probably not a pleasant life style.. :cool: .. I don't have to live or even visit the North Pole to instruct others that it is cold there. Granted, we are discussing things with a much deeper depth of analysis .. the nuances if you will, of things that are less tangible to those with no first hand knowledge. In principal .. it is possible.

Because I am a stickler for specificity and intent, it would be a good idea, in general, for folks to qualify their posting i.e. "opinions wanted" or "first hand experience users only" .. this post conforming to the former.:D

Is everybody on here a drug dealer or something? I thought I was being expensive when I bought a 700 dollar interface....man! I only WISH to have ANY of those! Sharing is caring fellas....:D

-Joel

my opinion

Well said promesis.

I have been reserve in sharing my opinion, because it flies in the face of all I've seen posted.
But my set up is very similar to yours. I have (2) RNPs (with RNCs) I have (2) DMP-3s ( not quite the Sytek, but similar) And a Pro MPA. I have a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 for drums and monitor mixes and I also have a Mackie that has been relegated to Band practice.

I record mainly Celtic influenced-Fusion Jazz / Rock / Folk (my band). And the ocassional Rock / Blues Band(others).

I have a friend who had several of the Great Rivers 2nvs , he offered to sell me one for (relatively) cheap. I took it home and recorded a variety of tracks such as vocals , Violin and the like with both condensors and dynamic mics. I honestly did not like the sound. I may be the ONLY person in the world who does not, but to me it was a harsh aggressive sound that did not reflect the natural sound I was hearing in the room, and had sucessfully captured with my set up and mics previously.
Perhaps I was just partial with the familiarity of the sound I had grown accustomed to.
Perhaps it was the combination of inexperience with the piece of gear and mic placement.
Perhaps it is not the best pre for acoustic instruments, and lends itself to a more agressive music style.

I sent it back. I would like to try the APIs. My same friend has a lunchbox full and I am curious to try it out.

Tom

Is everybody on here a drug dealer or something? I thought I was being expensive when I bought a 700 dollar interface....man! I only WISH to have ANY of those! Sharing is caring fellas....:D

-Joel

Nope, just need a good day job...........

I have a friend who had several of the Great Rivers 2nvs , he offered to sell me one for (relatively) cheap. I took it home and recorded a variety of tracks such as vocals , Violin and the like with both condensors and dynamic mics. I honestly did not like the sound. I may be the ONLY person in the world who does not, but to me it was a harsh aggressive sound that did not reflect the natural sound I was hearing in the room, and had sucessfully captured with my set up and mics previously.
Perhaps I was just partial with the familiarity of the sound I had grown accustomed to.
Perhaps it was the combination of inexperience with the piece of gear and mic placement.
Perhaps it is not the best pre for acoustic instruments, and lends itself to a more agressive music style.

I sent it back. I would like to try the APIs. My same friend has a lunchbox full and I am curious to try it out.

Tom

Hmmmm. I've never had any pre influence the sound so much that it ruined the sound. (Once you get away from crap pre's anyway). True enough, the GR is not my go to pre for acoustic instruments, but it can do a great job on them if you run it cleaner - turn the gain down, and up the output. Do the opposite and it gets pretty ballsy. That being said, spending nearly $1000 a channel for a preamp may not be worth it for most homerecordists. I would say in fact, that it is way overkill for most.

Now to your question.. for what am I to use them?
Most likely drums. My project studio is basically for my band. I have little interest in capturing the sounds of others right now. That being said, my band is not your typical band - we are a three piece instrumental "math-rock" band. Hyper technical, odd - compound rhythms, dynamics .. etc. Kind of like Mahavishnu / King Crimson / Zappa meets Bad Brains.. if that makes any sense (Rush "Caress of Steel" played backwards with random 16th notes taken out .. very "hurky jerky" .. super clean jazz fusion then explodes in total odd timed heavy freak outs) .. epic sound journeys.
D

For drums (except OH's) I prefer the API's. My two 3124's get 99% of thier usage drum prse's. Really both are great preamps, and I think you will be happy either way. It really comes down to what's more important. More channels, or more versatility. If mainly used for drums, I'd want more channels myself.

More Comments .. Any takers on the Attenuating Pad / Pre Amp Levels Question?

-Joel

LOL.. no, just quit doing so many - it has freed up some capital!!
Next .. no more alcohol!! :eek:

Well said promesis.

I have been reserve in sharing my opinion, because it flies in the face of all I've seen posted.
But my set up is very similar to yours. I have (2) RNPs (with RNCs) I have (2) DMP-3s ( not quite the Sytek, but similar) And a Pro MPA. I have a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 for drums and monitor mixes and I also have a Mackie that has been relegated to Band practice.

I record mainly Celtic influenced-Fusion Jazz / Rock / Folk (my band). And the ocassional Rock / Blues Band(others).

Tom

Thanks Tmix .. That's what I liked about the RNPs (and I suspect, the Sytek) .. "set it and forget it". Just get good mic placement and dial (click) up the proper levels*. Pretty much what goes in - comes out. Not a lot of "futching around" with creepy gain stages. Though my ART Pro Channel is totally in a different league than the GR - it does share sort of the same gain staging .. and being a guitarist using a Marshall (and getting "clean" tones) .. setting up the gain stages in the mic pres is quite similar. That "Pre" / "Master" ratio.

For drums (except OH's) I prefer the API's. My two 3124's get 99% of thier usage drum prse's. Really both are great preamps, and I think you will be happy either way. It really comes down to what's more important. More channels, or more versatility. If mainly used for drums, I'd want more channels myself.

Cool .. so NL5, what, in your preceding drum setup do you send the OHs through?

The API so far, for what I want to use them for, seems to be out front now. Eventually, adding a couple GRs to the imaginary API that we are discussing, in conjunction with the Sytek / 3 RNPs would cover a lot of sonic possibilities and be a pretty solid foundation... then move on to other upgrades (most likely mics).. :o

Just a few parting questions ..

Any Portico thoughts? The two channel pre looks intriguing.

*And finally... Any takers on my attenuating levels into the preamps question above?

Thanks .. all good posts, great discussion. Thanks for your time.

i'd go with a 500-series lunchbox or rack chassis and call it a day. there are so many flavors of preamp available in the 500 series (including api and great river) that you can pick and choose all day and build yourself a very versatile arsenal of preamps. most 500-series preamps run between $400-1000.

as for gearslutz, there's just as much misinformation being given there as there is around here.

cheers,
wade

Cool .. so NL5, what, in your preceding drum setup do you send the OHs through?

Fearn VT-2. Oh so clean. :D

One thing to think about. You don't have any real clean pre's mentioned. I'd think about a pretty clean pre somewhere down the line.

I posited another reason that you may not have had the replies you expected. No need to be a butthead about it. If you are so thin-skinned to take offence at a post that has none, well, I feel sorry for you.

For the record, I tend to lurk in the recording forums and only contribute when I have something valid to say, and try to only give reviews and recommendation on hear that I actually have own or have used. I don't pass myself off as an expert - I am, like most on this board I thin - a musician who records. I am amused although in your fascination with my participation in cave threads about masturbation - you got a woody for me for some reason? I don't know you from Adam, and I know that I don't want to. And no, I won't circle jerk with you.

And I stand by the comment I made that you quoted, BTW.

Jackass.

*For the record... I love Home Rec.com. and feel indebted for the knowledge I've gained here. I try and give some back when I can. I Do know there are many good knowledgeable Engineers here so please don't take offense like this guy who spends most of his time on a Recording Forum talking about Masterbation in the Dragon Cave.

B.

cool .. Fearn VT-2 Goot Gawd Man!

Fearn VT-2. Oh so clean. :D

One thing to think about. You don't have any real clean pre's mentioned. I'd think about a pretty clean pre somewhere down the line.

Ok.. understood.

I meant: "clean"; like there is no dirt or grime on them LOL :rolleyes: really though, I know of what you speak.

The Fearn VT-2 seems awesome - $3800 worth of awesome. I don't know that quitting drinking is going to accommodate this purchase, but definitely is something to aspire to. One good web gig for me would take care of that.. :D (http://www.promesis.com) ;)

I should definitely make some mic upgrades should the Fearn become a victim of my audio anshluss!!

There is a VT-1 on Ebay for $1500 .. thoughts.. ?

NL5 - I appreciate your attention to this thread, lots of good incite .. do you have an opinion or answer about a line attenuator for some pre inputs as mentioned previously?

I posited another reason that you may not have had the replies you expected. No need to be a butthead about it. If you are so thin-skinned to take offence at a post that has none, well, I feel sorry for you.

fraserhutch .. I understand how frustrated you are - your initial post was not offensive. It indeed, conformed to what I infer as your intent.. which you just reiterated (or rewrote would be more accurate). So .. we're cool. I did think that Booda's reply was inappropriate as asserted in my subsequent post. Very defensive and reactionary. Alas, I care little, and find my replies in these matters to be solely academic and an opportunity to sharpen my communication skills! :cool:

For the record, I tend to lurk in the recording forums and only contribute when I have something valid to say, and try to only give reviews and recommendation on hear that I actually have own or have used. I don't pass myself off as an expert - I am, like most on this board I thin - a musician who records.

Understood, however, it does seem as if you are straying away from your posting philosophy declaration. Positing more than what most would consider helpful. Lets get things back on track here .. and share with me some of your ideas .. help me to understand what you think would be a decent addition to my family of pres within the parameters we are currently discussing.

I have no doubt that you have some valid and compelling ideas with regard to this thread. I definitely share with you one thing you imparted: you are a musician that records. That is exactly from where I am approaching all of this "home recording" stuff. I am building my gear around very identifiable parameters : band and music style etc. as intimated previously. Some folks here proffer contributions from the "engineer recording musicians" as opposed to our "musicians recording ourselves" .. a very subtle distinction granted, but one nonetheless.

I am amused although in your fascination with my participation in cave threads about masturbation - you got a woody for me for some reason? I don't know you from Adam, and I know that I don't want to. And no, I won't circle jerk with you.
And I stand by the comment I made that you quoted, BTW.
Jackass.

Meow.:)
I left my scratching post at home. Maybe you should say what's really on your mind eh?
Ok .. maybe slightly amusing .. but don't you think these sparring and jousting matches would be more appropriate as PMs or even a thread in The Cave (er whatever that is). :D

Fair enough. My opinions, well, I have used the Great River and like it a lot. It is coloured though, and I am maybe not the best to describe it. I have not used that API.

I can only rave about my Manley though :) You should look at one of these babies..... the dual mono. But, I gigress, because you didn't ask about them :D

If I had the bucks tp spare, I'd get a Great River. It's in my long term plans, and would be the next pre i get.

manley?

Fair enough. My opinions, well, I have used the Great River and like it a lot. It is coloured though, and I am maybe not the best to describe it. I have not used that API.

I can only rave about my Manley though :) You should look at one of these babies..... the dual mono. But, I digress, because you didn't ask about them :D

If I had the bucks to spare, I'd get a Great River. It's in my long term plans, and would be the next pre i get.

Thanks so much for "shaking it off" and contributing! :D

I'll have to look into the Manley.. and to your credit, the initial opening thread was - what it was - however, I look at these exchanges as a dynamic session of communicating ideas - though we may be migrating from the specific initial ideas, the totality of the discussion is still conforming to the general thrust.

I respect your urge to refrain from "fully" commenting upon other devices not listed in the subject line. Feel free to contact me utilizing other means if commenting further is outside your guiding philosophy of contribution.

Lots to research - lots to digest. Thanks all!

Back