Great and/or memorable drum/percussion intros

Bill Bruford - South Side of the Sky
Bill Bruford - Second Attention
Mitch Mitchell - Little Miss Lover
Unknown - George of the Jungle :)

-bruce

Jamie's Crying - Van Halen (Alex Van Halen)
Sgt. Pepper's Reprise - Beatles (Ringo Starr)
That Thing You Do - The Wonders (?)

fleetwood mac

How about Tusk by Fleetwood Mac?
I heard it took a million bucks just to produce that song.

I could have made that up though.:confused:

Anyone remember "Brontosaurus Stomp" by "The Piltdown Men"? ...from the 1960s? ...tympani intro. just listen to those saxes! C'mon guys, I'm sure I'm not the only Old Fart around here...

- Wil

Great responses, y'all!

I get distracted for a while and come back to a whole list of stuff — very cool!

ez_willis, your Cheap Trick mention is definitely a winner in my book.

Some more good stuff:

Metallica's version of "Helpless" from *Garage Days Re-Revisited"
"Lakeside Park" by Rush
"Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth (can't _believe_ I forgot this one!)
"Rust in Peace. . . Polaris" by Megadeth
"Wake Up Dead" by Megadeth (w/just a bit of bass thrown in)

Apparently, many early rappers used the first few bars (and looped them with tape) of a song called "The Big Beat" by Billy Squier. (off the Tale of the Tape album) It's a super basic beat, but it rocks anyway.

Just my $0.02 of something a little "off the beaten path."

Chris

i've been listening to kyuss all weekend and every second songhas a drum intro... but hurricane is by far the best

Give a listen to "I Fought the Law" by the Bobby Fuller Five. The opening just gets my blood pumped.

The O-hat break-beat on the intro on Steve Millers "go on take the money". It's sounds simple, but I found it not so easy to duplicate, though I'm no studio drummer.

Whoa Id forgotton all about Chuck biscuits.I loved his drumming for D.O.A. but cant think of any intros.
glad to see another NOMEANSNO FAN ON THIS SITE ARE THERE ANY OTHERS?If you take a listen to any of their records you might just find one of the best rythm sections in the bussiness:)

Damn right Rocky. I saw them live a few years ago after liking them forever, and they blew me away. I wish I had seen them before Andy left.

Back