GR-20, which guitar

Gabriel_0

Got a GR-20 coming in a day or 2. I play a strat with emg DG-20s and a Fernandez elite with the sustainer at the neck and the Custom Custom at the bridge. Trying to decide wich guitar to put the GK-3 on. Anyone have thoughts on this and the pros and cons for each?

Main thing is string spacing, and then the GK's proximity to the bridge - I believe the GK tracks more accurately nearer the bridge (if I recall the instructions correctly).

I had the choice between a Levinson Strat and a Fender custom Tele and string spacing was perfect on the Tele, but because of the bridge plate, the GK had to be a distance from the bridge.

With the Levinson, the GK's pole pieces were quite poorly aligned with the strings - enough to make me think tracking wouldn't be as accurate with the Levinson.

I never went the route of using individual saddle piezo PU, which supposedly provides the best tracking abilities. And once my guitar synth fad had passed, I was back on the straight and narrow again!

I have a GR33, and after using the GK2A on various guitars, ended up getting a MiM Roland ready Strat.

First off, you either need two sided tape or be prepared to drill two small holes in a guitar. I even drilled in an inexpensive guitar, and still did not like the installation. Also, the added on pickup looks and feels clunky. There is a chance that your current guitar case will not fit, if it is a tight case.

Additionally, the pickup NEEDS to be RIGHT by the bridge, and about a credit card thickness away from the strings. You should then be able to make final sensitivity adjustments on the GR20...as I can on the GR33.

After having the Roland ready Strat for a good while now, I realize that it is actually far superior, and the controls are getting easy to jump to. Having a separate guitar volume AND a synth volume is a big plus for me, as I run a separate amp for the synth stuff in addition to my guitar amps. If getting a used one off Ebay or a new one isn't appealing, you might also consider just getting a cheapie Squire Strat or similar, as I think the pickup would fit best on that style guitar. Take your pickup if looking for something along that line, as string spacing IS critical and does vary as you know.

I know you have the pickup already in route, so I would just use the two sided tape as a starter, then get comfortable with the synth in general. If you need to get serious... ala playing out live with it as an example, I think you'll wanna get a factory type installed setup, rather than an "add-on" type pickup.

btw..congrats. I completely LOVE the Roland setup. I have very minor complaints at this point..

Thanks for the advice guys. The new GR-20s come with the GK-3 pickup which have bridge mounts for les paul type of guitars so there is absolutely no drilling involved, in fact roland suggests you don't drill at all. If you use the bridge mount you simply attach the pickup to the mount with screws and adjust your height with the screws which is kind of nice. My Fernandez case is pretty darn tight so unless I mount my switch directly to the guitar I doubt it would fit in the case. Anyways I was just wondering if they worked better strat like single coils or buckers when I'm in mix mode?

BTW I have a GK-3 now but it doesn't work in guitar mode only in mix and GK mode hence a new one is on the way.

mixmkr said:
I know you have the pickup already in route, so I would just use the two sided tape as a starter, then get comfortable with the synth in general. If you need to get serious... ala playing out live with it as an example, I think you'll wanna get a factory type installed setup, rather than an "add-on" type pickup.
I have to second all of mixmkr's comments. I installed a GK2A pickup on my Parker guitar several years ago and had to set the action very high in order to keep the strings from hitting the pickup when I used the tremolo bar. I had to adjust both my setup and my playing to accommodate the pickup, which was less than ideal. The tracking was adequate when using the internal synth engine in my GR-1, but it was terrible when I attempted to control a external synth via MIDI. Everything tracked just fine on my VG-88, but that's a different beast altogether...

A year or two later, I picked up a Godin LGXT, which uses piezo elements on each string to drive an integrated Roland-style 13-pin output. The tracking is outstanding, and it allows me the freedom of setting up the guitar exactly as I see fit.

So, use the double-sided tape for the time being and get used to the guitar synth. Then, if you decide to take the next step and purchase a guitar with integrated synth hardware, you haven't done any damage to both your pickup and your guitar.

As for which guitar to use...it might be fun to throw your GK-3 on the Fernandez to see how to sustainer messes with the GR-20's little brain. :)

Good luck!

- Jerfo

Gabriel_0 said:
Anyways I was just wondering if they worked better strat like single coils or buckers when I'm in mix mode?

I think that is strickly a function of the patch you are using. I think a single coil would cut thru a tad better than a humbucker in dense patches, like string pads and such, but just a guess. And I say "cut thru"..but I think the Strat sounds compliment other sounds better, in general...if my opinion carrys any weight!! I had a GK2A installed on a Gibson L6S which is basically a offshoot of the SG, Les Paul...whatever... a 24 fret, twin humbucker, solid body. I love the guitar, but I much prefer playing a Strat nowadays over anything, and like the Strat sounds mixed with just about any patch I might use, if I mix them together. Which btw, is what I do most of the time anyway. I use it to augment my live sound, and I don't get really goofy like trying to sound like a horn section....which it can do fairly decently, actually. So...I have to say I am kinda biased as I really like the MiM Strats too. I have a nice 88 Amer Standard Strat, but I have a couple MiM in addition to my Roland ready, and they are all nice guitars. Inexpensive too.

Well I used the Roland pickup on my strat for a few months, never did like the sound too much, too muddy. I spent many hours setting it up to no avail. I ended up simply purchasing a Godin xtSA and man...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I highly reccomend the Godin if you are going to use the GR-20 or VG-88. Tracks like a fox and the sound is just incredible.

yeah.. the attachable pickup works to see if you might like using the Roland synth. The factory install in the Fenders, Godins, Brian Moores, etc... I think track much better. You wouldn't initially think so with the "potentially" same pickup mounted aftermarket. But in my case and many I have read, that seems to be.
I am still loving my MiM roland ready strat. I'd prefer a different neck as I don't really like the skinny vintage frets. But, I understand the new 2006 Fender standard strats are starting to sport the medium jumbo... Maybe if they still make the Roland Strat, it will reflect that change. A warmoth neck is another option.

Anyway, to answer a previous question about a Jackson GK3 install. I don't think it really matters what guitar. Just know that you need to put it right next to the bridge and extremely close to the strings...which you can do of course being next to the bridge. Some guitars don't allow this placement, and I would say mounting anywhere else will give dramatically inferior results.

I see Roland has discontinued the GR33 too :( Seems the package deal with the GR20 and the pickup is the best route according to their accountants.

I use a Roland GR33 that I trigger with either of two guitars: a Fender Roland-ready Strat w/ built-in synth pickup, or a Fernandes Revolver Pro with Sustainer that I've mounted a GK2A synth pickup on. Overall, I like the Strat better, however, using the guitar synth with the Sustainer is very cool! It works better with some patches than others. But on a few select patches it's a great effect, especially for the kind of ambient electronic music I'm using it for.

I have not had a good experience with the double sided mounting tape. I used it on my Fernandes and it did mess up the finish over time. I eventually wound up drilling into the guitar to create a more secure mounting for the GK2A.

I have a number of guitars with GK pickups. I have always used the two sided tape, and never had a problem. I have both GK-2A and GK3 pickups on Line 6 Varax, PRS Custom 24, Strat, LP Custom, and a Gibson Lucille.

Ed

Back