Gots me another bass

Dogbreath

Im an ex-spurt
Picked this up while I was on vacation last week. It was a trade in they had that I got for $350.
ESP LTD neck thru
One little nick in the body down by the input jack but that's it.
Plays great. Action, tone intonation ...:drunk:

went to snag a pair of flatwounds so I'd have a set of each on hand and it turns out that this is the extra long scale bass which, of course, they didn't have ANY strings for it in stock.

Oh well, I dig it. ;)

Attachments

• ESP Bass 1.jpg
    ESP Bass 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 80
  • ESP Bass 2.jpg
    ESP Bass 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80
  • ESP Bass 3.jpg
    ESP Bass 3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 82
You know, I have to confess I've always had a soft spot for that body design, and I usually hate that kind of "metal" look. Nice score!

Well, the shape of the horns is like the horns on Tiger, Jerry Garcia's guitar. The Dead were hardly a metal act. :D

Well, the shape of the horns is like the horns on Tiger, Jerry Garcia's guitar. The Dead were hardly a metal act. :D

Not particularly - this is way more angular. It's a body design you don't usually see in two-tone bare wood a la Garcia, either - this makes it a little more obvious:

ESP%20F-2005%20BLK%20STN.jpg

Very spider-y.

(and I HATE that Garcia guitar, lol. I think it's hideous)

:D

yeah...oddly enough, the shape is what caught my eye at first. :) That and the wood finish made me pick it up :laughings: and the way this thing plays put it in my car.
:drunk:

It was funny cuz I called to let the wife know and before I even got to it, she said, "Lemme guess, ya bought another guitar."
:laughings:

She knows me too well. Time to change my strategy.

Woof woof, yeah, love the wood finish. perty... now go fix your fence, it's falling down!! :laughings:

Great score if it plays well & sound good.
Sadly, I really can't get into the look of the thing - I can't work out if it's the teenmetalshreddinghero shape or the contradiction between that shape & the woodgrain finish.
Ah, but if I'd been there & had the money I'd probably have bought it anyway.

The classy look of wood meets sharp corners of metal. Diggin it!

Tanx man.

Woof woof, yeah, love the wood finish. perty... now go fix your fence, it's falling down!! :laughings:
:laughings:

Fence is almost done. :) Knockin it the rest of the way down was the easy part. Now if I could just get my wife on the pick n shovel. :p

Alright, I'll bite.

I *do* like the bass, and I wish I had one like that :mad:

Awesome :D

Cheers,
FM

:drunk: Cheers dude. ;)

Great score if it plays well & sound good.
Sadly, I really can't get into the look of the thing - I can't work out if it's the teenmetalshreddinghero shape or the contradiction between that shape & the woodgrain finish.
Ah, but if I'd been there & had the money I'd probably have bought it anyway.

yup...you woulda. :) Can't have too many guit-fiddles. :D

Very nice, Dogbreath! :)

Thanks Zaphy. ;)

Oh...and I measured the fretboard and it's 35 inches. 24 frets. Wasn't aware they even made "extra long scale". :o
:)

Peace y'all !

Oh...and I measured the fretboard and it's 35 inches. 24 frets. Wasn't aware they even made "extra long scale". :o
:)

Peace y'all !

I've got a 35 incher too. Pretty sweet bass for 5-string low B tuning - I use Elixir XL scale strings, but if you were interested in roundwounds that might not be the way to go.

I've got a 35 incher too. Pretty sweet bass for 5-string low B tuning - I use Elixir XL scale strings, but if you were interested in roundwounds that might not be the way to go.

Elixirs? I've always just used em on my acoustics. Tried em on one of my electric 6 strings but didn't care for em. Never occurred to me to try their bass strings.
Thanks ;)
And I assume the "XL" on the package is for "extra long" scale...?

And I found I like the flatwounds over roundwound. They don't chew up my callouses so much. :D

Elixirs? I've always just used em on my acoustics. Tried em on one of my electric 6 strings but didn't care for em. Never occurred to me to try their bass strings.
Thanks ;)
And I assume the "XL" on the package is for "extra long" scale...?

And I found I like the flatwounds over roundwound. They don't chew up my callouses so much. :D

Make sure you try the Nanowebs - they have a thinner coating and sound much more natural. :yesway:

http://www.juststrings.com/elx-14087.html

I guess they call them Extra Long Scale, not XL Scale - my bad, I haven't changed them in a while. :) I tried the Long Scale and they were too short for 35", so the extra long it is...

I've had a pair on a bass I mostly just use for recording for, um, two or three years now, and they still sound pretty damned good. And, because of the coating, they're gentler on your fingers. :)

Make sure you try the Nanowebs - they have a thinner coating and sound much more natural. :yesway:

http://www.juststrings.com/elx-14087.html

I guess they call them Extra Long Scale, not XL Scale - my bad, I haven't changed them in a while. :) I tried the Long Scale and they were too short for 35", so the extra long it is...

I've had a pair on a bass I mostly just use for recording for, um, two or three years now, and they still sound pretty damned good. And, because of the coating, they're gentler on your fingers. :)

yup :)
I grabbed the long scale, started to bring em back, said what the hell and put em on anyway. So I have about 3/4 of an inch of the pretty blue weaving at the top that goes across the nut. :D

Haven't noticed any degradation to sound or sustain but I'm not sure if I'd notice :laughings:

And gentler on da fangers is good. I'm a thenthitive guy. ya know. ;)

Thanks for the link man. I'll bookmark that and snag some that fit.

:laughings::laughings:That's the first thing I noticed as well....guess we are all home owners.

Great score DB....and for only $350. ? man that's a deal.

My wife doesn't even ask or question any more..... just turns a blind eye. :D

:cool:

Back