got some new songs up on site ( need input)

random effect

www.myspace.com/randomeffect

let me know what you think they need. I hear other songs on myspace and they don't seem to have a grainy sound when recorded properly but mine do sooo, I guess I'm doing something wrong. It doesn't sound that way in the actual mix but once on myspace it degrades the quality a lot.

We recorded with alesis 3630, mxl 990 condenser, cheap fender mics (main issue) and all through a fostex mr8 and mixed in audacity.

any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

7 views no reply... come on guys. help me out here.... I really am curious if any of you know what causes that downgrade in quality

Well better mics would help.

Tell us how you recorded the song,it sounds like you have used one mic for the whole band :confused:

Drums sound very distorted and dark,bass too

Vocals and the backroud sounds like they are clashing too.

Guitars sound like they are too far from the mic,or maybe its the way you mixed them.

But the band sounds good,and i like the song :)

Any pros want to help me :D

BTW EQ is your best friend,carve those tracks up boiiiiiiii

random effect said:
www.myspace.com/randomeffect

let me know what you think they need. I hear other songs on myspace and they don't seem to have a grainy sound when recorded properly but mine do sooo, I guess I'm doing something wrong. It doesn't sound that way in the actual mix but once on myspace it degrades the quality a lot.

We recorded with alesis 3630, mxl 990 condenser, cheap fender mics (main issue) and all through a fostex mr8 and mixed in audacity.

any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Not the worst quality for myspace, but could use some work. You could use a different mp3 player like mine -

www.myspace.com/nlrs

My songs sound bad, but that's the way they sound.

Garik said:
Well better mics would help.

Tell us how you recorded the song,it sounds like you have used one mic for the whole band :confused:

Drums sound very distorted and dark,bass too

Vocals and the backroud sounds like they are clashing too.

Guitars sound like they are too far from the mic,or maybe its the way you mixed them.

But the band sounds good,and i like the song :)

Any pros want to help me :D

BTW EQ is your best friend,carve those tracks up boiiiiiiii

so i've been messing with the eq separation and it seems to be helping but i was wondering if you noticed any freqs that i need to work out. Is the mix just too bottom heavy? I think i need to get rid of some of the low end in the guitar and the 60 - 100 hz in the bass needs to be cut.... but it's seems to be coming together. If you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. I'm really trying to learn this art.

Hey man - I listened to Context, really liked the song...
Mix wise, the first thing that jumped out at me was the boxy-ness of the snare - perhaps a cut in those upper-mids would help a bit...

Thanks a lot man. Context is one of my favorite songs that we have and i'm glad you liked it. I tried the upper mid cut but since it affects the toms and kick, it took a lot of body out so, Maybe i could try a smaller rollback.

my problem is, I'm working with a fostex mr8. This recorder only has two inputs so I can only record with a seperate kick. I close mic the snare but it gets mixed in with the overheads so it doesnt leave me a lot of options... I do know that I positioned the overheads too close to the cymbals and didn't add enough mix into the snare

I kinda wish i had the ability to separate everything on the drums. I could pan the toms and find that perfect snare sound but there is soo much pressure to get the cd out now. We've been working at it for three months but live and learn... and then ya get luvs

Back