Got rejection letter this morning!

ok, In itunes you look at the top bar and click edit/preferances/importing/ then import using. Now they will be a drop down bar that will be set at .AAC, which lighning mp3 will not support. So click on the dropdown bar and select .mp3.

Then insert your cd and wait while iTunes loads it. It should automaticially appear. once it does then in the top right there is a button that says 'import' click this and you're away.

If this isnt working, tell me at which part you get stuck/its not working.

Benreturns said:
Sent a 2 song demo CD off to Sony/BMG, EMI, Warner chappel on monday. Sony BMG wrote back to me today saying thanx but they wont be able to place my songs anywhere at the moment. Gawd dammit! At least they returned my CD...

... hmmm, so you're saying that you sent out an unsolicited demo to sony on monday, and you received a returned cd with a rejection letter that friday? i hate to say this, but i don't think i believe you and don't understand why you would post such a thing. it doesn't work like that... sorry to call bullshit when i see it, but i couldn't help myself. nothing personal, just being honest. - jv

johneeeveee said:
... hmmm, so you're saying that you sent out an unsolicited demo to sony on monday, and you received a returned cd with a rejection letter that friday? i hate to say this, but i don't think i believe you and don't understand why you would post such a thing. it doesn't work like that... sorry to call bullshit when i see it, but i couldn't help myself. nothing personal, just being honest. - jv

Thanks for the input. You got me. There are lots of reasons for me to make that up and post it here aren't there? If you could think of a good one let me know and I'll go with it. I just wanted a sympathy fuck actually.

I dont know how it works where you are johneeevee, but thats whats happened here to me. Infact this is the second time ive sent to Sony - the first time was my first demo attempt about 8 months ago and they emailed me saying 'no thanks' within the week too.

Any luck with those .mp3s yet my friend, and dw about johneeeveee. Your story sounded a little strange to me at first and i was hesitant. But you know what? I belive you, there'd is no point in lying about it so forget about him. :D

Hey drummerdude...

I keep getting this on the itunes download page:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Ive tried twice today over 2 seperate occasions. This is the same screen i get when I try to sign up for paypal funnily enough.... Is there any way of converting the files into mp3 internally in my windows 98? Or any other software i can download?? I really would like to get some feedback!grrrrrrrr

On a seperate note - is my story that strange? Sony are the only company who have replied apart from the email I had back from EMI saying they cant accept unsolicited stuff. I think its good they take the time to reply. If anyone here thinks they have something good to send out try Sony music publishing in London!

I have no idea why that's coming up. It means that either your offline, or the site your viewing is offline, or yout browser wont let you view it.

You're posting here so you're definatly online, the site is online. So it must be somthing in your browser. What browser are you using?

Microsoft Internet explorer 5?

My comp is funny about things like that. Is there any other way to convert them to normal MP3s?

Open windows media player. Then click Tools/Options/Rip Music. Then halfway down you should see "rip settings. format: windows meda audio" change the drop down bar to .mp3

Then insert the cd and rip it to your hard drive. :D

Benreturns said:
Thanks for the input. You got me. There are lots of reasons for me to make that up and post it here aren't there? If you could think of a good one let me know and I'll go with it. I just wanted a sympathy fuck actually.

I dont know how it works where you are johneeevee, but thats whats happened here to me. Infact this is the second time ive sent to Sony - the first time was my first demo attempt about 8 months ago and they emailed me saying 'no thanks' within the week too.

i don't know why you would make this up either, but there is simply no way that sony reponded to an unsolicited demo. they simply don't accept them and they go in the garbage. i know this for a fact. i called bullshit because i would hate to see others waste their money on postage and cdr's in such a fashion. sending demo's to a major like sony is a waste of time and money. take the advice of some of the others on here who suggested contacting independents to see if they will take a listen to your stuff. sorry, as i said, it's nothing personal, but i just don't like to see stuff out there that spreads more fiction about how this industry works.
have a nice day - jv

joneeevee is right. Don't bother sending your demos to lablels. Even the minor indie ones don't listen to the demos. I did work experience in 4 labels last year. 3 we're tiny record labels and it was my job to go through the demo pile dating 3 years back. In there were 'althlete' demos, etc.

In the final work experience i helped at a much bigger indie label (still tiny in the big scheme of things though). They don't listen either and all the lablels told me that you won't get signed unless they've heard hype about you, or seen you live.

None of the labels had EVER signed an artist from a demo sent it.

But if this guy says he's recieved stuff back then belive him. So what if he is lieing, doesnt harm you in anyway. As long as people dont get dilussioned.

You know what, i want to belive this guy, I want to belive that the music industry is that messed up.

drummerdude666 said:
joneeevee is right. Don't bother sending your demos to lablels. Even the minor indie ones don't listen to the demos. I did work experience in 4 labels last year. 3 we're tiny record labels and it was my job to go through the demo pile dating 3 years back. In there were 'althlete' demos, etc.

In the final work experience i helped at a much bigger indie label (still tiny in the big scheme of things though). They don't listen either and all the lablels told me that you won't get signed unless they've heard hype about you, or seen you live.

But if this guy says he's recieved stuff back then belive him. So what if he is lieing, doesnt harm you in anyway. As long as people dont get dilussioned.

You know what, i want to belive this guy, I want to belive that the music industry is that messed up.

thanks for the dose of reality. you're also right in that his post doesn't harm me in any way... but as i said, i just don't like to see the perpetuation of fallacies about this business, so i tossed in my 2 cents. sorry if i ruffled any feathers... i'll go away and let people waste their time as they see fit.

drummerdude666 said:

OK, then those labels you worked for should have a clear disclaimer on their website telling people not to bother sending in any unsolicited demos. If they don't do that, then they are wasting everyone's time. Some of the indie label's sites I've checked actually encourage people to send stuff in, which if they are never going to be heard is appalling - I mean what's the point.

glynb said:
OK, then those labels you worked for should have a clear disclaimer on their website telling people not to bother sending in any unsolicited demos. If they don't do that, then they are wasting everyone's time. Some of the indie label's sites I've checked actually encourage people to send stuff in, which if they are never going to be heard is appalling - I mean what's the point.

some indie labels do accept unsolicited music, but you should definitely contact them first. however, there are many indie labels that state very clearly that they are not accepting any demos. you have to dig around.
bottom line... if you don't have some connection to a label, there is VERY little chance of getting a deal from sending in a demo... extremely rare.
make records to the best of your ability and finances, play locally and tour if you can, and if you create a buzz, labels will hear about it. then you have a chance at getting heard and possibly signed. do everything you can on your own in the meantime. i make a living making records and touring, and i'm no longer with any label other than my own sole proprietership. it's a lot of work, but i make WAAAY more per record than i did when i was signed.
best of luck - jv

It's not the companies resposibility to tell people not to send them stuff.

If this was any other bussiness then that bussiness wouldn't put up signs saying dont send us free stuff. It just doesn't happen that way. Nobodies asking the people to send in their demos to them. People just do it.

Best thing to do it not to get signed to a label, do it yourself. That way YOU are in control of your music, and gigs, and what is essentially your buissness. So Do it yourself.

Yep. Thanks for all your help with these links. I'm sort of in the same boat. Got loads of really great original material (so say most of my family and friends) all self produced/composed/engineered etc.... Been looking for a happy home for it all. About 20+ years worth. Just haven't had the time to make a bunch of phone calls, don't like sitting down writing letters and I for sure gave up playing demo roulette. For about 35 years sending tapes then CDs, never got to first base getting signed. Never gave up though. Just need to rearrange my approach. It's been said by I can't remember who;
"The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Well, for me it's just stupid to blindly submit my unsolicited music. If you don't know somebody who knows somebody who would increase your probability of getting a fair deal, then you're shit out of luck IMHO. Here's how I've been seeing it;

Great material+poor contacts=no signing.
Great material+great contacts=maybe signing.
Poor material+poor contacts=no signing.
Poor material+great contacts=signing sometimes.

How far off do you think this is?

Guys, it's not about contacts or great music or sending 1000s of copies out to studios. It's all about AIRPLAY. If you want a studio to look at you, you need to get played on the radio. This is where it all starts. It doesn't matter how good you are, if no one outside of your local area are listening to you, then that really limits the market place. It's the difference of a couple of hundred of fans, and hundreds of thousands of fans.

Remember, studios are in business to make money. You need to go to them with something that says, 'Hey, I can make you a lot of money for you'. If they don't see the money, they won't even listen to you.

Studios look at the charts each week, to see who is being played. If they see a group, that has poped onto the chart, and they are not signed, then they will listen to them. If they like them, then they will get in touch with them and make an offer. This is how it works.

A group I am currently working with have been playing for about 1.5 years. To keep it short, they got a radio promoter, he sent out there CD to 80 stations, they got played on 16 of them and got a letter from Epic (Sony/BMG) asking for their lawyer's name and a copy of their CD. Simple huh.

So what criteria do the songs need to address, to be played on the radio. First, the song need to be 3 to 5 minutes long. A 10 minute song, might be great, but it takes up too much time for a station to play. The song needs to be somewhat comercial. Comercial is what sells. If you play death rock, heavy punk, or light jazz, you will not get played. Country and mainstream rock have a large market place, and therefore, will get played. It's the difference between 50 thousand fans and 50 million fans, again, the money.

Keep in mind, fans care about the music and relating to the songs. Record companies care about making money!!!! Give them what they want, and they will pay attention to you.

Middleman said:
Nobody will hire you or buy your music if they have not heard you live or met you. This has not changed in 60 years of the music business.

Yup...at least as far as i can tell. you pretty much need a live act to even be considered by a label. so get those chops down and hit the clubs. you'll eventually be playing bigger and bigger places, assuming you're any good, and attracting bigger and bigger crowds. eventually, someone in the music biz (assuming you're in a fairly major city) will want a peice of you...or a peice of the cut of money/fans you may have.

Robertt8 said:
Yup...at least as far as i can tell. you pretty much need a live act to even be considered by a label. so get those chops down and hit the clubs. you'll eventually be playing bigger and bigger places, assuming you're any good, and attracting bigger and bigger crowds. eventually, someone in the music biz (assuming you're in a fairly major city) will want a peice of you...or a peice of the cut of money/fans you may have.

Okay, so do people my age(15) get signed?

Back