Got my AM-52's today

strmkr

I got my pair of Alesis/Groove Tubes AM-52's I ordered from AMS today.I have them hooked up and have been piddling around with them this morning.I know Mark H. wanted a report when I got them,and for anyone else considering a LD mic purchase,here goes.
First impressions: They arrived in two huge boxes that I thouht couldn't possibly be microphones,but there was a box inside a box inside a box for each,extremely well packed.When I finally got inside,I found a really cool silver "anvil type" case.To my surprise,there was a shock mount included with each mic as well as the ring mounting collar.According to everything I had read,The 52 only came with a collar mount.There is also a neat little "sock" cover with the gt logo included.The mics appear to be flawlessly crafted,although the collar mount is a little cheesy,made out of some kind of thin plastic.

How do they sound? So far,I am well pleased from the few tests I have done.They are a little warmer and fuller than I expected. The pair is a pretty close match,to my ear anyway.I have noticed a slight difference between the front and rear diaphragms in figure 8,but not a real huge one,and I don't anticipate it being a problem. They are plenty hot,for sure.I am going to do some recording with them and get some mp3 samples up for a listen as soon as I can.

The AMS folks have been real nice and corteous so far,and the mics arrived on schedule,so as far as I can tell,It is a good buy.More later from the Oklahoma countryside...........

Have a great day everyone!....................L

Damn,I just noticed my post count was at 99 after 26 months of being a member so here goes..........

Thanks for the report! Hey I wonder if any 2 people have ever hit 100 in the same thread...Maybe we could be the first. :D

Matt

2 100's in the same thread!!!!! What do we win???

Well Bob, what do we have for our contestants today?

A NEW CAR!!!!

ok....back to the mics.

Matt

They are pretty nice for 200 bucks apiece.If they are like everything else around here,I'll use them on everything they sound decent on,mostly vocals and acoustic instruments etc.I have a couple of groups that come in regularly,one is a folk,bluegrass type bunch and the other is a kind of folk influenced gospel group.They are real big on performing together all at once in the studio,so I think a pair of multipattern mics are going to come in really handy.

strmkr,

What other mics do you have in your stable? I'm wondering how they compare to similar products.

The only vocals I have tried them on are mine,so far.I am recovering from a cold so It is a little hard to tell at this point,but not too bad.I just unpacked them a few hours ago,so I am still experimenting.

I have a pair of sm-81's that are really not that similar and a pair of md 421 sennheisers,not too similar.I bought these to replace a pair of akg 414's that I had to sell last year after getting banged up in a car wreck and being out of work for awhile.I didn't get to use the 414's that much before the accident,but as I remember,the 414's were a little bit warmer and fuller than these.

I am going through my old track sheets to try to find the adat tapes with some of the old tracks I did with the 414's for comparison.

Back