Got Mix?

Jpwikid

I have an original here that needs as much help as i can get from you guys.....Whereas we're not happy with the drums, we're extremely puzzled on how to get a decent guitar tone.....We had the guitarist plug direct in and decided we could reamp his guitar to give it the sound we wanted. unfortunately we can't seem to do that.....So, if anyone would like to take a shot at giving this guitar some life, i have 3 downloadable tracks available.....The 1st one is the finished song with the best idea of what we were going for on the guitar tone......The second one is the guitar track using a Line6 pod trying to get the tone we were going for (unsuccessfully)....the 3rd one is the clean d/i from the guitar, this is the track you'll need to reamp or effect.....The song is progressive/classical/hard rock, so we need that kind of sound.....Here's the links, and all help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56351987b6359aa2/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5635260394db9349/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/56352553f0a90d8f/

P.S. If you have problems accessing the tracks send me a pm and I'll email them to you...

I have an original here that needs as much help as i can get from you guys.....Whereas we're not happy with the drums, we're extremely puzzled on how to get a decent guitar tone.....We had the guitarist plug direct in and decided we could reamp his guitar to give it the sound we wanted. unfortunately we can't seem to do that.....So, if anyone would like to take a shot at giving this guitar some life, i have 3 downloadable tracks available.....The 1st one is the finished song with the best idea of what we were going for on the guitar tone......The second one is the guitar track using a Line6 pod trying to get the tone we were going for (unsuccessfully)....the 3rd one is the clean d/i from the guitar, this is the track you'll need to reamp or effect.....The song is progressive/classical/hard rock, so we need that kind of sound.....Here's the links, and all help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56351987b6359aa2/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5635260394db9349/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/56352553f0a90d8f/

P.S. If you have problems accessing the tracks send me a pm and I'll email them to you...

Anyone?.........

You'd think dudes playing complex lines like these would have a decent guitar rig... :p

Here is the thing man. See if you can borrow a tube amp from someone, stick a 57 in its face, and your tone problems are gone.

The drums are a little sloppily played at the beginning. If you have access to a drumagog program that is what I would do!

The vox are pretty neat and actually really interesting.

Not a bad job overall, get a decent guitar rig, sample that snare and there you go :)

Good luck!

-jD

Hey JPWikid, I dont think that this site is gonna give ya what you're askin for......or at least it has'nt yet for any of your posts that I have noticed. A 57 isnt gonna fix the problem, a 58 might though,,,,hehe. Your band has way too much talent not to sound good. You guys probably kick ass live. I would fire the guy recording you, and find someone else who knows what they are doing.
GoodLuck

I dont hear sloppy drums anywhere in the song. That guy freakin rocks. I have yet to hear drummin like that in years. Kinda refreshing to the ears to hear more than a 7 piece drumkit on this site. They dont grow'em like that anymore.....

Detroit,

Dude he said they used di for guitar.

If you want to be successful with this style of music you need a tube amp and a mic in front of it. Not a shitty di with digital amp emulators!

And while the drum performance is technical and complex, I would say it is FAR from perfect. Hence the sloppy comment.

Don't fret though, it can be salvaged. Use a decent amp. Do some rhythm correction on the drums and have them sampled.

Or don't...

-jD

Detroit,

Dude he said they used di for guitar.

If you want to be successful with this style of music you need a tube amp and a mic in front of it. Not a shitty di with digital amp emulators!

And while the drum performance is technical and complex, I would say it is FAR from perfect. Hence the sloppy comment.

Don't fret though, it can be salvaged. Use a decent amp. Do some rhythm correction on the drums and have them sampled.

Or don't...

-jD

Ok,DUDE! I agree with everything that you said except the part about the amp emulators, the sloppy drumming, and the sampling remark.
I have heard ALOT of great tones from emulators---there are alot of shitty tones from tube amps as well, which is most likely the reason for DI'n in the first place.(I assume that his amp sound sux)
I paid strict attention to the drum track and come to the conclusion that he is SPOT-ON in his playing, I did not hear one timing issue, I even synced my metronome up to the song, very tight on all musicians parts. Maybe you hear something from that extremely busy bass track.

With that being said there is ALOT of room for improvement on tracking/mixing/panning/mastering techniques on this song which is what JPWikid originally asked for help with, starting with guitar. Everything sounds like it was tracked pretty decent, but there is alot goin on with very little separation in the mix. A better guitar tone would help make better definition and BIGNESS to the song, fatten up the bass a bit, and mix/EQ the drums better and its a 'hit'. Vocals are solid and unique, reminds me a little of Vince Neil in parts. (meant as a compliment)
Everything is there, it just needs to be mixed/mastered properly.
I dont have the experience to attempt this big of a task, but I would like to hear a better sounding version of this song from someone.
GoodLuck Wikid.

I am assuming that this is a low budget job. That being said, I would guarantee that any amp (within reason, valvestate etc.) would sound better than the amp emulator.

Maybe you're right detroit, fire the engineer.

It may not be the drummer that is out of tempo but his fills are maybe a little too complex for the arrangement.

Sample the drums! All metal bands do it. It will be extremely difficult for you to turn this sound into what you want. All you have to do is use your original signal and use it to trigger samples with a program like drumagog.

Or retrack the drums with a new engineer that knows what they are doing.

I am not trying to blow smoke up your ass and act like what you have is just super duper. I am telling you what I have experienced as an engineer and what I have done in the past with difficult situations.

Take it or leave it.

-jD

Ok, do I have to separate you two....Believe me, I know everything that's wrong with the song...All I'm concentrating on right now is the guitar....Unfortunately, the guitar was recorded direct and with an amp at the same time.....The amp sounded horrific, so now I want to somehow transform the clean guitar signal into the best sound that i can find.....Re-recording the track isn't really an option at this point since the guitarist isn't available...So my choices are (1) to leave it alone,(2) reamp the signal i have,(3) or re-record the guitar part myself....So, (1) that's why i came here so i can get help and improve it, (2) hopefully someone will take the time to reamp it with some guitar tones, and (3) I could probably play a majority of the guitar parts myself but this guitarist is cleaner and technically better than me....So, with all that being said, anyone out there wanna try their hand at it?......Ythanx......JPW

Ok, do I have to separate you two....Believe me, I know everything that's wrong with the song...All I'm concentrating on right now is the guitar....Unfortunately, the guitar was recorded direct and with an amp at the same time.....The amp sounded horrific, so now I want to somehow transform the clean guitar signal into the best sound that i can find.....Re-recording the track isn't really an option at this point since the guitarist isn't available...So my choices are (1) to leave it alone,(2) reamp the signal i have,(3) or re-record the guitar part myself....So, (1) that's why i came here so i can get help and improve it, (2) hopefully someone will take the time to reamp it with some guitar tones, and (3) I could probably play a majority of the guitar parts myself but this guitarist is cleaner and technically better than me....So, with all that being said, anyone out there wanna try their hand at it?......Ythanx......JPW

P.S.... without fighting

P.S.S. All i care about right now is the guitar, nothing else,........

Alright dude.

Here is what I came up with.

I reamped thru my fender de ville 410 using a visual sound pedal.

My sm 57, audix i5 and c414 are all at the studio at the moment so I had to improvise with a shitty audio technica mic. Obviously there is a little clipping because that microphone is junk and I bounced it a little hot.

This is just a little 1 minute clip (I didnt want to bounce the whole song as this is a pretty rough draft.)

The thing I noticed about your effected version was that it was seriously lacking in the mids. That is usually what I find in emulated guitar tones. This may be rough but if you put it into the context of a mix you should like the results.

Or not...

here you go...If you like the tone I will grab my 57 from the studio and do a full wav version.

You will obviously need to do some adjusting in context with the mix...ie eq panning etc...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5658164450bc5025/

Let me know,

-jD

Also...If you have the session files I would love to mix this song. I have drumagog and melodyne. Lemme know.

-jD

JD, sounds good.....If you want to mix the entire song let me give you a heads up that there are well over 20 tracks to this song:eek:....Still interested?...If so, I'll get all the tracks and post them for you...LMK....Ythanx....JPW

If there were less than 20 I wouldn't be interested :p

If you can figure out a way to host the files so i can d/l them i will be glad to mix it.

-jD

Alright. I have the drums all compressed eq'd and sampled. I am going to sample the guitar on monday. I have house guests at the moment and can't have my fender blaring this weekend. I think it is going to end up sounding pretty cool.

K dude,

Here is the first mix. Pretty happy with it, except I still need to do some work on the rhythm guitar. The solo/leads are a little iffy too. I think they are going to be hard to reamp but I'll have another go at it later.

I didn't know how you wanted the spoken word parts done so let me know if you like those or how you want them to sound.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56794946346ab7db/

Let me know what you think :)

-jD

Hey, Sorry it took so long to get back with you...I appreciate the work you did on the song...That's still not the guitar sound we're looking for....maybe we'll just try to somehow get it re-recorded.....everything else sounded good though....I think you did the main vocals really well...How did you do them?....They're crisp and clear....I'd like to use the same settings as you had for the vocals.....Again, thanx for all your time, hopefully i can let you hear something a little better next time.....

Back