Got a Tascam 44 4 track reel to reel

No problem there man... I'm not actively trying to sell them, but at the moment I don't have a machine for which I have any use of them, so when ever you have a little extra cash just send me a pm, I'll still have em, and they'll still be cheap.:)

breaking it out

Since there isnt a whole lot i can do with the 388 at the moment, and i finally got a little time off work, i decided to really take a look at what is going on with this 44. I am convinced that it doesnt take the same remote as the 30 series. It may possibly, but i have recently seen the remote that goes with this series and its different looking. Theres is a chance the connectors are the same but who knows.

Anyways i started taking the test tones from analogrules.com and playing them into the recorder at set db levels and watching what the needle does in different modes on every track. I havent done a full conclusive test, but so far it seems like the response to input and playback are all over. All tracks fed the same 0db tone and most of them hear it as 0db but one hears it as like -5. In sync mode sometimes the tone played back is alot lower db than what went in and in a few cases it plays back louder than what went it. In repro mode its more of the same random results across all 4 tracks.

I will say this though, the tracks that record and play back at the same level do sound really nice. But it seems like when they dont the noise level becomes very obvious, moreso than youd think just by looking at the 2-3 db drop on playback.

Does this sound like just a bias/calibration/tuneup kind of a problem?

Back