Got $250 to spend - want new toy - TR Rack or D-550?

Yeah, I'm with you, more modern sounds and thousands of patches on the net :D and can compete with my triton, and still (IMHO) sits well in a modern mix.

IDK that much bout the TR rack but does it take the same expansion boards from the triton and vice versa?

Cheers

I think it's a different architecture. I haven't had mine all that long, maybe 2 months, and I've been swamped with work and gigs so I really haven't had a chance to do much more than muck with the presets.

Yeah, I'm with you, more modern sounds and thousands of patches on the net :D and can compete with my triton, and still (IMHO) sits well in a modern mix.

IDK that much bout the TR rack but does it take the same expansion boards from the triton and vice versa?

Cheers

Well, seems like you already made your decision Anppilot. By all means, for many, TR is more attractive and useful box.

But D550 and PG-1000 together? Not even with 1000 fresh and deluxe programmed sounds, would they wash my pleasure working with this duo! Provided it is well preserved and sound able D550 :)

In general, I agree with you as to how nice it is to prgoram a D50, but to my ears it's a little dated, somewhat along the lines of the Korg M1. Some of the sounds are still viable, true, but in whole, the D50/D550 is at best a niche instrument. All my humble opinion of course...

Well, seems like you already made your decision Anppilot. By all means, for many, TR is more attractive and useful box.

But D550 and PG-1000 together? Not even with 1000 fresh and deluxe programmed sounds, would they wash my pleasure working with this duo! Provided it is well preserved and sound able D550 :)

but to my ears it's a little dated, somewhat along the lines of the Korg M1. Some of the sounds are still viable, true, but in whole, the D50/D550 is at best a niche instrument

WO THERE !!!

I can say this about the M1. I've been programming synths cince the 80's when I was a kid starting with yama's FM systhesis.

However, The M1 (which I have a M1r rack) I can make better 'digital' pads' on the M1 1 thousand times better then what I can make on my Virus Ti rack !!!

It's all how you program it I suppose. If your talking about M1's brass, pianos, strings, yes you're mostly right - definately dated. But even digital strings - M1 Hands Down !

I used to do alot of hiphop & R&B, I'm mostly into remixing, trance, techno and house. I'm not in a good city for hiphop & r&b. Theres talent here, but it's just not a marketable city. At least not yet.

There's no accounting for taste, is there? :D

To each their own. As I said, it's my opinion, coming from a guy who's owned and programmed the fore-mentioned DX7, and M1R.

Back