Gooseneck stand for singing live with piano?

moley

Hi folks.

I've got a question regarding micing vocals live, while I'm playing the piano (digital piano, actually).

The obvious solution would be to have a boom stand to one side - but it occurred to me that a more elegant solution might be to use a gooseneck of some kind to mount the mic - and clip the gooseneck to the piano stand/console for example.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Are gooseneck stands such as this available - would there be a problem with vibrations transferring up it? My mic does have a shockmount, which would help (though the asthetics of using the shockmount live are questionable).

Any ideas?

IMO, goosenecks are junk. Although I've never heard of one that clamps onto something. Personally I go for function over form, and a boom would work better for me. They tend to give you even more flexiblitiy than a gooseneck can offer. Also, if you ever watch famous singers who play the piano (i.e. Billy Joel) they usually use a boom.

the reason why goosenecks are not usually used professionally is because they won't support weight very well, resulting in a gradually (or not so gradually) sagging microphone. The noise every time you adjust it or it moves is also pretty horrendous.

The main application for goosenecks in a professional situation is on lectern mics for speakers or religious services. Often these mics are miniature omni condensers that weigh almost nothing, so the goosenecks don't sag. But omnis are often not the best for stage situations where you are looking to avoid feedback from floor monitors by using a directional pattern. Also omnis don't let you exploit proximity effect, which some singers like to do.

another possibility for your situation would be to use a headset mic, if you don't think that compromises your good looks too much! ;)

pics0312x.jpg

littledog said:
another possibility for your situation would be to use a headset mic, if you don't think that compromises your good looks too much! ;)

Haha! I'm not sure about headset mics, the thought had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure - I tend to think it looks a bit too 'Britney' :D

Practically, though, are headset any good?

Goosenecks and headsets will 'work' but they won't give you the reliablity and quality of a simple 58 on a boomstand. If you can find a real boom that clips very securely to you keyboard stand then that might be the best compromise.

Thanks for your advice guys :)

Recording Engineer - that mic looks interesting, worth checking out at some point, though, at the moment I can't really afford to be buying new mics (I only recently the one I'm using).

Looks like it's gonna be the boom stand option then.

Back