Goose Stepping

Listened again, and liked it even better - always a good sign. Love the snare sound. This time, I didn't want less space on that guitar, I wanted a different space on it. But let me hear the tune another handful of times, and it will seem the way it should. 8-)

Listened again, and liked it even better - always a good sign. Love the snare sound. This time, I didn't want less space on that guitar, I wanted a different space on it. But let me hear the tune another handful of times, and it will seem the way it should. 8-)
Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure what you meant by the less space/ different space on it thing. You mean the reverb or whatever seemed not so good there in that break?

Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure what you meant by the less space/ different space on it thing. You mean the reverb or whatever seemed not so good there in that break?
I wasn't sure if it was reverb, delay, or a combination of the two, so I just call it space and hope I don't sound stupid.

There's a polarity in mixing between 'sounds natural' and 'sounds wow'. Pop music doesn't care about natural, so it'll reach for 'wow' every time. So when that guitar came in with more verb than anything else in the mix, it stood out. My inclination is usually toward 'natural', so it sounded too wet to my ears. But I'm getting used to It, because the song is good enough to carry it. I'll forgive just about any mixing decision if the song's pretty enough. For example, check out 'Green Angry Man' by Stratmonkee - it's got a guitar part that stands way proud of the rest of the mix, but it's okay because it's such a good tune and arrangement. The lesson seems to be 'a good song and a great performance gives you more elbow room for bold decisions in the mix'.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if it was reverb, delay, or a combination of the two, so I just call it space and hope I don't sound stupid.

There's a polarity in mixing between 'sounds natural' and 'sounds wow'. Pop music doesn't care about natural, so it'll reach for 'wow' every time. So when that guitar came in with more verb than anything else in the mix, it stood out. My inclination is usually toward 'natural', so it sounded too wet to my ears. But I'm getting used to It, because the song is good enough to carry it. I'll forgive just about any mixing decision if the song's pretty enough. For example, check out 'Green Angry Man' by Stratmonkee - it's got a guitar part that stands way proud of the rest of the mix, but it's okay because it's such a good tune and arrangement. The lesson seems to be 'a good song and a great performance gives you more elbow room for bold decisions in the mix'.
Oh right, I get you now, thanks man. Yeah, I think all the guitars (not the rhythm) had a similar verb on them and just when everything else dropped away I guess what was left stood out. Basically I go for natural too. I don't go too far down the effects rabbit hole.

Back