Good Vibrations Cover

Holy fuck dude, you got like every little nuance of the song. Freaking excellent. :eek:

Sometimes the timing seems off a little and I don't think all the harmonies are there, but fuck it, the Beach Boys were harmony masters. You did an awesome job sounding almost exactly like the original.

And I don't mean to hijack your thread, but check out my "Sloop John B". :D
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=276758
If I wasn't trying not to cuss as much, I would say the same thing about your song dude. HOLY EFF! That is one of the best things I have heard, IN MY LIFE. Very good cover. (though I am not sure it should have faded out. It should have ended with a big crash, or better the main guitar riff playing out, and slowing down to a finish.) I don't know why you don't have a record deal dude. You're the bomb! Great job, and thanks for the comments.

hehe i like the theremin sound :)
Thanks.

Great Job Adam! :cool:
Thank you!
Where the hell do you find the time to do that.......holy crap. I have trouble takin' the garbage out. Sounds great.
Lol. Thanks. I don't really know. I lost sleep, and wound up going to bed at like 9:30 am. I really wanted to get it done.

Adam, i definitely think you pretty much nailed the beach boy sound. The vocals are spot on. The synths are a close enough to make it a close approximation of the original. Well done lad.

Thanks! :D

-Adam.

Haha, thanks a lot bud. sorry about the cursing. Sometimes clean words just can't get the point across. :D

And again, fantastic job on this song.

It has taken me an age to get around to this as I've become a bit of a Wilsonophile in the last few years - didn't get the Beach Boys in the 60's or later until I discovered Brian's Love & Mercy in the 90's. I've worked my way back from there.
You've done an outstanding job covering a complex piece.
There are some SS issues in places - particularly the chorus.
I do miss a good 'cello sound but then I play one so I would, (& the 'cellos aren't loud enough in the original!!!!!).
I like the bit of grit you have in the approximate 'cello sample you used.
Did you record in a linear way or in Wilson's modular process?
Sterling Work & something you can always tweak over time &/or when better samples etc come your way.

Haha, thanks a lot bud. sorry about the cursing. Sometimes clean words just can't get the point across. :D

And again, fantastic job on this song.
I don't mind if you cuss. I'm flattered I'm good enough to be cussed at. :D

It has taken me an age to get around to this as I've become a bit of a Wilsonophile in the last few years - didn't get the Beach Boys in the 60's or later until I discovered Brian's Love & Mercy in the 90's. I've worked my way back from there.
You've done an outstanding job covering a complex piece.
There are some SS issues in places - particularly the chorus.
I do miss a good 'cello sound but then I play one so I would, (& the 'cellos aren't loud enough in the original!!!!!).
I like the bit of grit you have in the approximate 'cello sample you used.
Did you record in a linear way or in Wilson's modular process?
Sterling Work & something you can always tweak over time &/or when better samples etc come your way.
I did it in the wilson way. (If I understand it correctly, and don't fully understand the term linear) and if you play cello, could you track one for the song? I would really like a real one in there. THANKS! :D

-Adam.

Well, since this is a "Beach Boys cover thread", I guess I should contribute something in that spirit. Here's a piece our studio did a few years ago for an advertising agency in Dallas. It was for an eBay campaign:

The music bed was done at Dave Martin's Java Jive Studio in Nashville, and we did all the vocals in our Studio B. Scott, one of our engineers, sang all the vocal parts.

Props - I don't play it well enough I'm afraid. There are a few around who do though - try 'cellopuddin for one.
Wilson recorded the song in sections then stitched them together eg the intro in one studio with one mob of musicians then the chorus in another etc then stitched!

Props - I don't play it well enough I'm afraid. There are a few around who do though - try 'cellopuddin for one.
Wilson recorded the song in sections then stitched them together eg the intro in one studio with one mob of musicians then the chorus in another etc then stitched!
That's what I did.

-Adam.

Ok, a little late to the party here...thanks for the tip ;).

Pretty amazing actually man...really.

You captured most all of the original arrangement and the performance is really on. There is a certain element of grit or something that is understandably absent from your covers of these older tunes (CCR, this one, Beatles, etc.), but I guess in part that makes it more your own. I guess I prefer your originals for pure entertainment value, but these covers (this one especially) are really very impressive :). I love it :D.

Ok, a little late to the party here...thanks for the tip ;).

Pretty amazing actually man...really.

You captured most all of the original arrangement and the performance is really on. There is a certain element of grit or something that is understandably absent from your covers of these older tunes (CCR, this one, Beatles, etc.), but I guess in part that makes it more your own. I guess I prefer your originals for pure entertainment value, but these covers (this one especially) are really very impressive :). I love it :D.
Thanks! I'll try to get you some more originals. :D I do want to ask what you mean by grit, and why it's understandably absent. Thanks again!

-Adam.

Thanks! I'll try to get you some more originals. :D I do want to ask what you mean by grit, and why it's understandably absent. Thanks again!

-Adam.

Yeah that was kind of vague...thank you for not letting that slide ;).

I guess I mean a bunch of things. Rawness, edge, imperfection...most people have way too much of it...some unintentionally (me :o).
Your sounds are very clean and articulate. This really works for me on your originals because that is your sound, but on some of these covers your versions just sound so clean (in terms of performance and mix) that it stands out to me in comparison with the originals. This isn't a good/bad thing obviously, and also highly subjective.

Maybe this is a bad example as the beach boys don't bring the words raw or edgy to mind...:D

And the "understandably" part was just presumptuous. I presume this to be so, because of your use of what sound like synths, plug-ins, etc.

The big thing for me with your stuff is your ability to create really cool melodies that are familiar-feeling but still take unexpected turns :cool:.

Yeah that was kind of vague...thank you for not letting that slide ;).

I guess I mean a bunch of things. Rawness, edge, imperfection...most people have way too much of it...some unintentionally (me :o).
Your sounds are very clean and articulate. This really works for me on your originals because that is your sound, but on some of these covers your versions just sound so clean (in terms of performance and mix) that it stands out to me in comparison with the originals. This isn't a good/bad thing obviously, and also highly subjective.

Maybe this is a bad example as the beach boys don't bring the words raw or edgy to mind...:D

And the "understandably" part was just presumptuous. I presume this to be so, because of your use of what sound like synths, plug-ins, etc.

The big thing for me with your stuff is your ability to create really cool melodies that are familiar-feeling but still take unexpected turns :cool:.
Thanks. I got it now! And I like your sound very much. You can do a crap load with those tape machines. :D

-Adam.

LOL, Your simply amazing.

I really dug this.:cool:

Your vox are the shit:cool::cool::cool:

Very well done indeed.

I love this tune, my favorite beach boys tune next to god only knows.

thanks for sharing mate:cool:

Back