Good value for money large diaphragm condenser microphone

giopad65

Hi everybody,
maybe the subject has been covered a thousand times, nevertheless I post the following question because I ifnd it difficult to seek for answers in such a big amount of threads. ;)

I am considering getting myself a couple of large diaphragm condenser microphones. They are intended for either studio (male voice) and live recording (I sing in a small polyphonic group, which performs in small concert halls, small churces, etc.).
I record music using a Fireface 400 audio interface connected to a Macbook Pro.

Since the recording activity wuold be quite occasional, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
I am reading a lot of good reviews about Rode NT1-A, SE Electronics 2200A, AKG C3000, to give you an idea of the price range.
What would you suggest? Is there some interesting brand I am not considering?

Thank you very much in advance.
Giovanni

Ask in the mic forum pull get more answers.

I don't know for a small groups, but the MXL v67g is good and cheap.

I have myself a Studio Projects B1 that I've put to good use. I just needed something cheap for scratch vocals, but it actually managed to sound better than I thought it would. About 2/3rds the price of those you mention too.

Blue Microphones make a few really reasonably priced kick ass mics imo. I love the spark and hear great things about the next step up models that cost a little more.

The NT1 is usually pretty good for vocals and acoustic string instruments. It's not that expensive either so good quality for the price.

G

Rode NTK or K2, Audio Technica 4047. All are a bit dearer than the NT1A, but worth the step up in cost. Also try a dynamic mic like the Shure sm7B as an alternative.

Cad. Any Cad Large diaphram. American made, great mics, at great prices. Just choose the one you prefer.

Behringer c-1 condensor mic.I bought it only for Rs1700/- (40$ approx) here in India , the quality is too good

Last edited:
The 4050 and 4033 are great mics. Workhorses, incredibly well built, sound great on just about anything, totally *not* the flavor of the month, and I cant believe how infrequently I see them mentioned.
+1. AT just makes some great mics. Used a 4041 on an acoustic this week. Sounded very very good.

If you like the sound of the NT1, have a look around for a deal on a NT1000, or even a secondhand one. This is a dark horse, the NT1000 is a great sounding mic and as far as I can tell its a NTK but with solid state instead of the valve.

However most of the suggestions here are good, I love Audio Technica mics, Sennheiser Mics, don't own any Studio Project mics yet but I have 2 preamps I love so soon I will. It will come down to what you like best, it's the same as when people ask about which monitors to buy, it come down to personal choice.

Alan.

Back