Good Small Valve Head?

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Hey guys,

Have been out of the game for a little while and wondering how things stand with the small amp craze. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on a good Valve head in the $500 range? I've been using a Blackstar HT 5 (average all-round but no break-up) and an Orange Micro Terro (absolute belter!) into a couple of Vox Nightrain Cabs (1 x 12"s). Is the Tiny Terror still a popular option? I'm looking for a balance between great cleans and a chimey natural overdrive. Oh and an FX loop would be great too. I'm seeing alot from Hughes & Kettner these days - anything there worth a look?

Your Blackstar has no break-up? :confused:

I thought that's what people bought Blackstars for.

To me, that would be like someone saying that they use a Pignose for cleans.

TelePaul,

Seeing as how I owe you one, I'd send you my Epi Valve Jr. head, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Shipping would suck, too.

TelePaul,

Seeing as how I owe you one, I'd send you my Epi Valve Jr. head, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Shipping would suck, too.

Hey man! Jeez long time no chat. No probs, had an Epi Valve Jnr combo and that thing was great! Kinda sorry I got rid of it now. As for the Blackstar, the HT 5 has no break-up on the clean channel and pretty searing distortion on the drive channel - not much by way of a middle-ground there. I can't vouch for some of the higher-end models, though I hear they're pretty good. I remember A/B'ing the HT5 combo with a Marshall Class 5 after I'd bought the former and there was no comparison, the simple Class 5 circuit just smashed it. Thinking about the Orange OR-15 head now for a similar reason - switchable output with a single channel.

I also remember watching a review by PremierGuitar Magazine about the Peavey ValveKing. If I remember correctly it got pretty good reviews. Might be worth checking out, Egnator is releasing a new version of the Rebel 20 and 30 in July. You might want to check that out also.

Interesting. I bought the Epi head because I didn't like the speaker in the combo, plus I was planning on getting an iso-cab anyway. Didn't get the iso-cab until years later, and as I'm typing this I realized that I've never tried the two together! By the time I bought the cab, I kinda forgot I had the Epi head, and it's been sitting back in it's box who knows where. Proabably played it a grand total of 2 hours. Guess while I'm moving stuff this weekend, I'll track it down. I've got a bunch of pedals now I've never tried it with. Woo-hoo, a new toy, and I didn't even have to buy anything this time around.

But if you're interested in the Epi, just let me know. Like I said, I owe you one.

BTW, I've grown to like the pickups quite a bit. Now, I've also got a Texas Specials/Pearly Gates Lone Star strat setup. I like the tele better.

Somebody wanted those pickups, but you know what told 'em. ;)

Hands off!
Now here's the situation,
hands off!
Do you need an explanation?
Hands off!
Do you hear what I say?

:D

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Hey guys,

Have been out of the game for a little while and wondering how things stand with the small amp craze. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on a good Valve head in the $500 range? I've been using a Blackstar HT 5 (average all-round but no break-up) and an Orange Micro Terro (absolute belter!) into a couple of Vox Nightrain Cabs (1 x 12"s). Is the Tiny Terror still a popular option? I'm looking for a balance between great cleans and a chimey natural overdrive. Oh and an FX loop would be great too. I'm seeing alot from Hughes & Kettner these days - anything there worth a look?

Save a little more and get an ac30. You'll keep it forever.

Hey Telepaul, good to see you around again. :)

Supercreep is right, AC30s are pure bad ass, but they're not small or cheap.

I think the Hughes Kettner Tubemeisters are killer. I think there's a 5w combo version.
The Vox Night Train is okay
Marshall Class 5
Egnater Tweaker

Those are all in your price range, will do what you wanna do, and should be pretty easy to find.

Hey Telepaul, good to see you around again. :)

Supercreep is right, AC30s are pure bad ass, but they're not small or cheap.

I think the Hughes Kettner Tubemeisters are killer. I think there's a 5w combo version.
The Vox Night Train is okay
Marshall Class 5
Egnater Tweaker

Those are all in your price range, will do what you wanna do, and should be pretty easy to find.

Ah did you miss me you gorgeous bastard? :D

Damn it, now you have me wanting an AC30. My problem is that I have two nice VOX 2 x 12s so had my heart set on a head. I've played a Class 5 Combo and that thing is great...a head would be awesome. Will check out some Egnater video! Back soon...

Bonermaster can make any amp sound good.

Nevertheless, them there one watt anniversary Marshalls are expensive and the JCM-1 is the best.

On top is the Grandmeister 36, and on the bottom is #132 of those 200 that was mentioned. I have to use a step-up transformer for it since it's 220-240 and we're 110-120 here in the states. These are my "Den" amps so I can watch football and play at the same time. I also have XLRs run into my den so I can mike these babies if I want to. LOL!:laughings:

Last edited:
Back