Good small diaphragm condenser mic for strings?

gongli

I need a pair of good small diaphragm condenser for far away main stereo application.
I have studio projects c4 which is OK but looking to do better for under $1000 for pair.
The C4 sounds thin on the bottom frequencies - do all small diaphragm mics lack in the bass department, or are there warmer sounding ones out there?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I do not often record strings, but when I do I have been using a pair of Neumann KM184 (and/or large diaphragm AKG C414B-ULS) I have liked the results.

I do quite like SDCs for stereo pair miking of things like strings, choirs, etc. I'd have a listen to the AKG C391B (well, two of them) on a stereo bracket. They should be near your budget--but if you need a lower price, the stereo pair of the sE1A mics are very nice for the money.

I have used Oktava MK-012's with great success. They have a slightly darker top end that seems to tame strident violin.

Save your cash. Buy Karma D-10. About $150 pair. In a recent shootout against the KM 184, 75% chose the Karma...no choice there

Back