Good Slingerland Snares Cheap!

Warhead

Jai guru deva om
I picked up two Slingerland snares this week at a crazy deal, wanted to share.

I got a 4x14" steel Sound King snare for $69.99, and a 6.5x14" copper Sound King snare for $99.99 from www.musicyo.com .

http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=2

Email them and ask if they'll sell you their snares at opening bid price on eBay. They should, they did it for me. I saved $90 on the snares this way. I simply told them I didn't like babysitting auctions and they said OK.

I carried them to a friend's studio tonight and we tuned them up and smacked 'em. Excellent sounds from both! They are Chinese made snares, the quality is really excellent. Heavy drums with good materials and workmanship.

War

Actually I am recording with The Slingerland Jam Session Kit from Music Yo.
I did replace the the kick pedal w/ DW 5000 and the heads, also using, Sabian cymbals. I put a muffle ring under the steel snare head and an Evans
power dot head on it. Then I clipped 4 snare wires off the snare set. Now it records pretty darn good. I've been looking at their copper snares also but I want the 5.5 x 14 and I think they sold out. I wonder what their Artist maple snare sounds like. If it's quality 149.99 is a good price.

I got one, and I like it but...

I got a 14 x 7, brass snare from them a while back. It is huge and ringy and wide-open (which is what I was looking for). I then added maple hoops, and now it's got the worlds biggest side-stick and rimshot- CCCRRRACKKKK!!! Great for live venues.

Mind you these are not the quality american drums that Slingerland used to make. They are cheaper, lighter, Taiwan "repros", made by what is now the Slingerland company. The sticksaver rims, and snare throw-off look like the old Slingerland, but are kind of like a Huffy to a Harley quality-wise when compared to the old American Slings. The other thing that had to be replaced within like a day, is the super-cheap nylon string that holds the snares on, it was like dental floss <snap>. I might actually replace the throw-off, because even the fatty parachute cord that I'm using now seems to slip over time, and require regular adjustment.

All that said, these drums are a pretty good deal for something that's upper low-end. Sort of like in the ballpark of the DW Pacific stuff.

The next thing I'm thinking about with the Sling brass snare, is hand hammering the shell, but first I'm going to experiment on some more cymbals and get better at hammering. Because it's pretty thin, and I've only just started playing with cymbal modification, it could become a disaster. I only payed about $110 to my doorstep, so it's worth experimenting on it at that price.

I think if I was in the market for another maple snare, I'd skip the SlingerTaiwanLands "Artist" and save up another $100 for something that's not going to fall apart or delaminate down the road (I don't trust maple from Taiwan).

Back