Good Recording, but Bad Fish

Fade

Ok, so doing a Sublime song was a bit intimidating at first, but I think this is probably the best thing I have ever recorded in my little livingroom. I still need to do a couple of parts that require a trem guitar, but even without them I think the song works. And I gotta tell you, getting the timing tight on the guitars was a bitch, so I hope you like what you hear.

Bad Fish

hi my fellow Canadian, god save the Queen.

As i say, I am no expert but i have ears too...

i'll start with the bad...
the drums sucks (all of it, cheapy, crappy, and the rest)
the mix is too "reverbed", even if Reggae goes with a lot of it (UB40)
the acoustic guitar doesn't stick with the musical style.
the bass is flat, too much compression, is it fake??, cause sounds fake a lot, more than a fake one.

Now the good...
Nice composition,
love the musical style,
Nice voice
nice simple solo

And, i need a voice, 'cause i suck!!!
let's do the song together... what do you think???
you get the credits for... i'll get the money:cool:

Thanks for listening. I agree the drums suck, but you use what you've got. They are just programmed using Fruity Loops. I have often thought about an upgrade to DFH or something, but it is still a ways down the spending priority list. You should have heard them before I found these drum samples! ;)

The bass may sound a bit flat, but I have noticed that this mix actually sounds pretty different on different stereos (more so than usual for some reason), so some of that issue could be related to that. More likely it is just my setup. The bass is basically run straight into my computer since I have no bass amp. Guitars were also direct because my good amp is at my jam space. Even if I did have a descent amp I only have a crappy old mic (new mic's are also on the want list but too far down to ever get bought) so it might not lead to much improvement. I guess I should have specified that this track was recorded on a super budget setup. Hell, even the vocals are recorded through the crappy mic with a sock over it as a pop screen! :D

As for the acoustic not fitting, I can't take the blame for that seeing as Sublime wrote the song, not me. That said, I generally don't see a problem with with throwing in a few things that freshen up a genre.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Back