Good P90s?

Fusioninspace

Today's question is...

What would be a good replacement P90 Soap Bar Pu'p for a Hamer ATP90 (made in Chine) solid body? I'm sort of looking at the GFS, Wilkinsons, Duncans, Armstrong, etc.

Any body have any watchouts? I have stock Hamer P90s in this thing now. It really plays nice and I replaced the bridge with a TonePro w/ Graphtech saddles. But I'd like to keep working on it to make it a little more special.

I have some Duncan Phat Cats in my Echotone (Hamer semi) and it really sounds exceptional. I'm looking for that level of quality in this thing as well (IMHO).

I always check Harmony-Central - But everything there is "oh it's the greatest p'up ever!" on every pickup I look at.

My problem is the stock Hamer's pickups just don't have the jive I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? And why?

The Duncan P-90s are good. If you don't mind spending the money for the best, Jason Lollar makes some really spectacular P-90s. I also really like Lindy Fralin's P-90s. Which ever you end up getting, make sure you get one of them reverse wound/reverse polarity so they will be hum-canceling when they are both on.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

i haven't tried GFS P90's, but I have 2 sets of their pickups - Dream 180's in a solidbody and Retrotron Memphis Alnico 2 in my archtop. They are a fantastic value - VERY good tones. I couldn't be pleased more. Basically, instead of a "search" for pickups on both guitars I ended up getting "the" pickups each time. I did do a lot of homework before, though.

They make my "made in Chine" guitars sound like they were made somewhere else (whatever that means) :D

Back