Good or Bad idea?

soundprizm

Hey guys.. I had an idea about creating a flat frequency response from my Cerwin Vega DX1's. To get a program that generate's frequency tones. From there adjust the eq going into the speakers I'm using to create a flat frequency response. I have a pioneer amplifier that is running these speakers, it has a five band stereo eq built in. If this would work I would get a seperate eq unit. I've been thinking of getting one anyway for my P.A.. This is a very nice program that I found. It can generate 16 tones simultaneously, mono or stereo, and it's freeware. It has a bunch of other stuff that I don't know about also. Is this a feasable idea, or am I out of my head? :D

The software:
http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

YMMV, but I don't think it's a good idea... the phase artifacts you'd introduce by putting an EQ in the chain (especially if you boost anything) will most likely make things worse than when you started with....

Try it though - if it works for you, then go for it...

What is YMMV? I'm not sure I get you on the phase artifacts. Can you explain that? Thanks for the reply Blue Bear! :)

problems in the time domain cannot be fixed in the frequency domain...if it takes more than subtle EQ, then there are distances in room size you need to deal with instead...thats what he means

Soundprizm, what Bruce is saying with YMMV is "You make me vomit!" No..... I'm messin' with ya! I had to ask the same question a couple of days ago. It means" Your Mileage May Vary!"

RF

Back