Good online information on singing technique?

DrewPeterson7

Sage of the Order
Ok, I'm an awful singer. I'm a proficient guitarist, and have a fairly good ear - good enough to tell how awful I am when I open my mouth. :D At the same time, I'd kind of like to learn how to sing, if nothing else because chicks are WAY more likely to sleep with you if you play them a John Mayer ballad than a Joe Satriani solo (though, the "wow, you can move your hands really fast" pays off on occasion).

What little reading and research I've done, however, tells me there's a right way and a wrong way to go about learning to sing, particularly if you happen to be into heavier stuff. I've got this deep, slightly raspy voice to begin with, and if I fuck up my throat screaming along with a Devin Townsend album, even fewer people will be able to hear me out at a bar, which is counterproductive to stated objective of getting laid. So, could some of you guys maybe point me in the direction of a few youtube videos or online lessons that might steer me in the right direction? So far about the extent of what I know is to try to sing from your chest, keep your throat relaxed, and if it hurts you're doing something wrong.

My aspirations are pretty low - on top of the more metal-y stuff I listen to a ton of blues based stuff, and no one ever really accused Tom Waits, Kurt Cobain, or Mick Jagger of having traditionally "good" voices. If I could sing a semi-respectable blues lead, I'd be happy enough - if I could get into Stones/Waits territory or even into more "pure" stuff like Tool, clean Opeth vocals, or baritone-y pop-ier stuff, so much the better. But really, if I can get to the point where recorded or live I sound no worse than your average drunken karaoke singer, I'll call it a success. :D

Also, out of morbid curiosity, there's supposed to be a "right" way to do the death metal growl. It's something I've never really cared for/wanted to do, but, again, morbid curiosity.

Hey, thanks man! I was beginning to be afraid I'd asked the "What's the best $100 microphone for recording hip-hop?" question of this forum. :D I'll give it a look tonight!

Ok, I'd kind of like to learn how to sing, if nothing else because chicks are WAY more likely to sleep with you if you play them a John Mayer ballad than a Joe Satriani solo......and if I fuck up my throat screaming along with a Devin Townsend album, even fewer people will be able to hear me out at a bar, which is counterproductive to stated objective of getting laid.
I'd like to have a room that, while a functional enough studio, I can still have sex in, which means no lofted bed.
Blimey, out on the road, in gigs and in the studio too ? Maybe you should be concentrating on the "...drugs and rock'n'roll" part of the equation !
Besides which, wasn't it the long, throbbing electrified phallic guitar that made all them dames' hearts and nether regions go pit~a~pat back 'in the day' ? :laughings:

Blimey, out on the road, in gigs and in the studio too ? Maybe you should be concentrating on the "...drugs and rock'n'roll" part of the equation !
Besides which, wasn't it the long, throbbing electrified phallic guitar that made all them dames' hearts and nether regions go pit~a~pat back 'in the day' ? :laughings:

Aye, sadly, that was "back in the day." No one really cares about guitar solos these days, so I figure I should diversify. :D

Back