Good mic for vocals

It depends on the voice. What type of male voice are you recording. Bass, baritone, tenor. Is it an airy voice, gritty voice, etc? We need more info,

Juan

Since you didnt mention a budget or describe the type of voice...(which is subjective and really is dependant on MANY things)...heres a list of mics that will work very well on ANY voice.

Original U87 mid 60's through mid 80's, TLM49, TLM193, Shure KSM44,Sennheiser MD421,Rode K2, Heil PR40, SM58, EV RE20/RE27, Shure SM7 (requires a pre that has some quality gain), Audio Technica 4050, 4047,4060, 3035,4040, Bluebird.

I would put up any of these mics before a session where I had no idea what the singers voice was going to sound like. I might change before the session was complete, but these would all be go-tos in the beginning.

I would also choose a pre that was lacking that 'spitty' high-end that you get in the lower quality ones.

Hard to go wrong with this. A lot of people, including me, recommend this. I've never tried it on guitar, but on vox it's nice. Maybe you could even find one of these used for that money. What pre's/interface are you using?

Just re-read your post; why do you need it to be a condenser mic?

Im just using the mic pre amps on my firepod for now untill i can afford a better interface and mic pre amps. and just condenser cause usually those do the best job in my opinion

I don't have any business recording exp with a closet of mics...but the SM-7 has really been a pleasent surprise. Its know for vocals, but it handles a guitar cab too...its so solid there's no fear. HeavyMetal singers to Los Lobos harmony type singers, solid construction its a nice upgrade.

From what I read moving from the $60-100 range many can get into "proven gold record mics" for around $300-400...like the SM-7.

I've heard good tracks with MXL's too.. though, in these times of an abundance of gear and a tidalwave of choices..... sometimes picking a LOGO brand, like Shure, I think takes the confusion and anxiety out of the decision making process for a lot of us. Especially ametuers who don't have a closet of mics and years and years of exp. like Harvey, for example.

We do have ears, and MP3 players.
Merry Crimble..I was listening to my 14yr old who had Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze loaded up. It was strange in a way...to hear this old familiar 45 song, now on MP3 many years later. It sounded good....it actually sounded 500000 times better than my scratchy shit 45 record.:p The vocal was all the way to the right side....a lot of wierd shit going on, and it was pretty frkn muddy sounding imo. but the groove is there, the riff the hook, it still has the good vybe...off subject again. who cares..:D

That's why I was asking, the SM7 will do very well if your interface can provide enough gain. If not try an ADK or even At 4040 or such

Back