*Good* KVM Switches - cables ??

DeadPoet

carpe diem
Hi all,

I currently have a cheap KVM switch to share the 19" CRT between the office and DAW computers (included picture below, 15€ + for about 10€ cables). Very handy, but it puts a 'shadow' on my image...

The 'A' computer has it more than the other, but it's really getting on my nerves... I have a second 15" TFT which has an impeccable image and the difference is unbelievably big...

Now to my question: would changing cables to better ones (thicker always seems better imo?) do the trick, or should I buy a digital switch ?

And preferably without going bankrupt... The store where I got this one has a digital one of the same brand (eQuip) going for about 75$. 100$ seems like the absolute maximum that I could spend on such a thing, but the less the better.

Any hints, help, suggestions ?

TIA,
Herwig

Attachments

• simg0475---downsize.jpg
    simg0475---downsize.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 36
Belkin makes some fine KVM gear. These days (with GUI interfaces and all) you are far and away better getting and "Active" KVM Switch. You're looks passive.

Carl

thanx for the info, but their site says 216$ for a basic model... a bit too muy dinero for me...

what do you mean with active ? with OSD or just a digital switcher ? (mine is analog, hence the big knob in front)

Herwig

Great links, thanks. you have the twoport all-in-one (1st link) ?

Great, that's *exactly* what I'm looking for, if video performance is good.

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
thanx for the info, but their site says 216$ for a basic model... a bit too muy dinero for me...

what do you mean with active ? with OSD or just a digital switcher ? (mine is analog, hence the big knob in front)

Herwig

You should always stay away from KVM boxes with mechanical switches - they have the possibility of eventually damaging your equipment with voltage spikes.

Ones that accomplish this with keystrokes on your keyboard or electronically activated switches would be better.

Back