Good guitar tone? BLUES DRIVER

wyr2hs

I want some real good Jimi Page/Black Sabbath/Blind Faith guitar tone. I have a mesa boogie Mark IV, a vox distortion, Wah wah, Boss flange and boss tremelo.
Whats the secret to these great tones?
Im always dissatiffied with my tones.

Also is it worth getting the Boss Blues Driver? Whats the difference between that and regular distortion? What are some good effects?

Or you could find an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer Overdrive.

The real one in the green metal not the plastic sound tank crap.

A vintage one from the 80's (wow, did I just say vintage from the 80's---I'm getting old) will cost way to much $$$ because once upon a time Stevie Ray Vaughn stepped on one and changed the world.

But a repro isn't out of reach.

I've never tried a Blues Driver, but Boss has been making effects for decades now so I doubt you can go wrong.

the blues driver sound very much like the ts-9 tubescreamer. in fact i'm pretty sure it was tailored after it. with both eq's flat, the blues driver has a bit less of a midrange bump.
peace - jv

I play a strat through a Fender hot rod deville tube amp. I use a boss blues driver for live playing as well as recording. I used to have a tube screamer but I was never really happy with it. It robbed the low end from the guitar sound when it was engaged and, if you set the amp tone for the tube screamer, when you switched back to clean the bottom end was boomy.

I highly recomend the blues driver. You can set your amp the way you like it, and set the blues driver the way you like it......you don't have to tweak the amp after that.

Buy a Blues Driver...send it to Keeley electronics....Smile at your friends freaking out on the sound....love the little blue light.

better yet, sve yourself the postage and buy a fulltone fulldrive. you'll never be sorry. It'll put any tube screamer, blues driver, or mass produced pedal in the dirt. As far as Robert Keeley goes, his compressor is the bomb I must say. if you dig fulltone, check out www.fulltone.com I've used a number of mike fuller's pedals and love them all.

steelpetals said:
better yet, sve yourself the postage and buy a fulltone fulldrive. you'll never be sorry. It'll put any tube screamer, blues driver, or mass produced pedal in the dirt. As far as Robert Keeley goes, his compressor is the bomb I must say. if you dig fulltone, check out www.fulltone.com I've used a number of mike fuller's pedals and love them all.

+1!!! The FullDrive 2 is an incredible pedal. I have one on each of my pedalboards. Truth be told, I'm a fan of Mike's pedals. I currently use 2 FD2's, 2 Clyde Wah's, a Fat Boost, Distortion Pro, and a ChoralFlange. Very musical sounding and built like tanks!!!!

HIGHLY recommended! :D

Check out a doubleshot distortion if you don't have the money for the for the fulldrive. Two different distortion channels, plenty of knobs for each one, the classic channel could do anything from zeppelin to acdc and get a very convincing zz top sound. the other channel is actually a dime distortion which itself is pretty close to the price of the doubleshot, and IMO its not nearly as good as the classic channel. Also with the classic if you crank the mids to full and cut the bass and treble you can get a wierd low-fi sound. However because of the huge range in boost for each one it takes some adjusting to find a good sound, if you 2 of either mids, output or gain up all the way it feedsback like crazy because of the huge output. With everything at half and the output knob at 1/4 it matches the volume of when the pedal is off, so it could probably work really really good as a clean boost too if you turn down the gain and you would also get a decent eq.

I used a tubescreamer for a short while. I didn't like what it did to the tone of my guitar. I've used a bluesdriver and felt it was more transparent. With the gain down on my Marshall and using the blues driver, it sounded the same as cranking the the gain on the marshall. I should add that it's an older marshall and isn't as metal sounding as the newer ones.

My original Blues Driver was a toy until Keeley modded it.....really theres no comparison...The Fulltone stuff is extreme!

wyr2hs said:
I want some real good Jimi Page/Black Sabbath/Blind Faith guitar tone. I have a mesa boogie Mark IV, a vox distortion, Wah wah, Boss flange and boss tremelo.
Whats the secret to these great tones?
Im always dissatiffied with my tones.

Also is it worth getting the Boss Blues Driver? Whats the difference between that and regular distortion? What are some good effects?

you have a badass amp, why dont you use its distortion?

also look ingo the TS-9 modded my analogman at www.analogman.com

i run it into a sovtek mig head and it sounds VERY organic ... the pedal really seems to "excite" the MIG rather than make the sound w/in the pedal (hope you understand)

best of luck
alfred

How are you setting your MK-IV? One trick is to crank the mids (8-10) and keep the treble and bass pretty low or even set to zero. Use presence to add highs and the E.Q. to add lows. Also, the clips I've heard of Mesa Mark series amps with Crispy Cream pedals are pretty incredible. I use a stock Boss Blues Driver and a Fulltone Fulldrive II in front of my Mesa MK-II-C+ and they sound pretty different. I use them both equally for different sounds. The BD is brighter and the FD is richer...at least the way I set them.

Yeah, I agree with donkeystyle. There's nothing better than rockin' it straight into the amp. I love my Les Paul -> Hot Rod Deville sound. Puuuuuure overdrive baby.

Back