Good drum machine

I am open to either software or standalone hardware. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I am not an authority on this subject - but I think it's an established fact that you will get the best, most realistic sounding drum parts using software. I still have my Roland R70 - an absolutely fantastic and super fun drum machine - but it can't touch EZdrummer 3 in terms of.... well just about everything. It's both powerful and easy to use. I get alot of enjoyment creating drum parts with the Toontrack software. Even if it goes nowhere - it's just fun to play with.

No mention of Singular Sound BeatBuddy? Decent pedal that can load different drum kits (purchased or can build your own with wav samples) and MIDI drum beats (from Singular Sound, build your own, or Groove Monkee has a great collection. Software.... Beat Buddy Manager (BBM) 'manages' loading and saving content (not great software, not intuitive to use, but works OK).

I've been using MT Power Drumkit until I can afford better. Stll not there yet due to higher than expected expenditures last quarter. HOWEVER !!

I had EZDrummer 2 at the top of my list for when the day comes, now that's been bumped to EZDrummer 3. I'm intrigued by it's newly added Bandmate feature which analyzes audio tracks (guitar, etc.) and writes a drum track that actually works and sounds decent (per the promo video, anyway). That alone would increase my creativity.

I've been using MT Power Drumkit until I can afford better. Stll not there yet due to higher than expected expenditures last quarter. HOWEVER !!

I had EZDrummer 2 at the top of my list for when the day comes, now that's been bumped to EZDrummer 3. I'm intrigued by it's newly added Bandmate feature which analyzes audio tracks (guitar, etc.) and writes a drum track that actually works and sounds decent (per the promo video, anyway). That alone would increase my creativity.
Thanks Spantini!

My first and only drum machine was a Roland TR-707. I also had a hybrid synth (KAWAI K3) and a MIDI rack module (forget the name) with percussion, along with some weak MIDI recording software, but I used the 707 for regular drum parts. That was easy to work with but the sounds were far from an acoustic kit. Drum plugins are light years better, and I guess the TR-707 trained me well because I still like step entering notes into a piano roll. Although . . . I have been working with my mini 25-key MIDI keyboard to play the notes in, but I'm not fully comfortable with that yet.

I've still got my original Roland R70. It is a fantastic drum machine. Still works perfectly. Sounds are dated by today's standards - but it's got tons of unusual percussion, all of the early 808 sounds that were so popular with rap/hip-hop, and it's just plain fun to program and mess with. I don't pull it out very often - but I actually miss programming stuff on it. What an an incredibly well thought out percussion tool.

Roland R70.jpg

I am not an authority on this subject - but I think it's an established fact that you will get the best, most realistic sounding drum parts using software. I still have my Roland R70 - an absolutely fantastic and super fun drum machine - but it can't touch EZdrummer 3 in terms of.... well just about everything. It's both powerful and easy to use. I get alot of enjoyment creating drum parts with the Toontrack software. Even if it goes nowhere - it's just fun to play with.
Ha! Just saw that I mentioned the R70 already. Ok then... point made.

Back