Good Deal on 603S?

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
I found a stereo pair of MXL 603s's online for $120 shipped. Is that a good deal? Could I find a better mic (or mics, stereo pair) in that range in order to record acoustic guitar?

Upon searching I found that many people got these for $30 as SDOTD at MF a while back, but obviously I won't find them for that price. Also, i found a thread from a few years back where people were saying that a stereo pair of these for $120 was a good deal. I guess I'm just wondering if that still stands or if there is something more cost effective availabel nowadays

Mca Sp1

Hi Acousticles, PSSL has the MXL MCA SP-1 condenser mic for $39.99 each. I understand that Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades recommends this mic as a good deal for the price and for a fee he can mod this mic.

Last edited:
the sp1 is a small diaphragm condenser in essentially an LDC housing correct? Hows the pattern on these mics?

Sp-1

From what I've read the SP-1 mic has a 22mm capsule and the polar pattern is cardioid. For more info and a picture of the mic you can go to www.mcamics.com

Last edited:
I was looking to see what the diaphragm size was (didn't see that info) and noticed that those specs say the mic has an impedance of 200 watts :confused: -- just when I thought I was starting to understand specs :D

edit: but to the original question, I was one of the folks who got the $30 ones from SBOTD - I felt like that was a good deal, but I'm not using them too much. If you read the threads, there's some speculation that the quality of the capsules has dropped some in recent years, and the initial positive reviews were based on the older capsules.

A lot of it comes down to your patience and time frame - if you're willing to buy used and watch closely and long enough, you can spot very good deals - a couple of months ago, I got two Oktava MC-012s (highly recommended, btw) at a pawn shop for $50 ($25 each), and they were matched closely enough for my purposes. That's a lot cheaper than you can generally get on ebay, but you might add to the cost the many times I walked into the pawn shop and *didn't* get the mics, as well as the time from when I first thought I wanted a pair to when I actually got them :D

Last edited:
Hi Antichef, I got the information of the capsule size from a post by Jim Williams on another forum. He is the owner of Audio Upgrades and is highly reguarded for his skills and knowledge of audio and recording gear.

Back