Golf...Love it? Hate it? Play it? Never Played it? Will never play it?

I played once a long time ago on this beautiful wooded course on the coast my friend took me to. Ate some hash and did really well on just instinct I guess, kept it on the green on the long shots for the most part and did ok for the first nine.
Something, for some reason IDK, all went to hell on the second.

For those of us here that do play Golf....this is going to be a damn fine weekend of golf...21 year old Texan Jordan Spieth might be kicking some ass n breaking records...awesome player...

Though not in contention for the win, Tiger made it into the weekend and that's big based on what he's been doing since he "came back"...Hope he pulls off a Major win before he sails off into seniors or retirement

I had a good short game when I was younger....but needed lessons to drive accurately.

I stuck to pool.

I had a good short game when I was younger....but needed lessons to drive accurately.

I stuck to pool.
My long game was always better with an 8" Dan Wesson 357. But you always do better with what you do a lot of.
.. 200 meter Rams' anyone :)

Very cool day of golf...Jordan broke several records and made some Augusta golf history...glad I was able to stay awake for most of it and watch Jordan do his thing...

It seems if you want to develop any skill at it you have to commit to serious study, lessons and a tremendous investment of time. Ultimately to what end? As a form of exercise it's marginal at best. There are many sports activities where if you devoted the same amount of time you'd reap big fitness benefits without having to be particularly good at it - swimming, bicycling, jogging, weight training, hiking, canoeing, etc.

Pootling round a golf course on a nice day with buggies, a few mates and beers is a fine way to spend a few hours. No-one plays golf it for fitness, they do it because it's enjoyable.

Lol @ golf for fitness. That's like throwing darts for fitness. Only a clueless goof would even consider it that way. I suppose though that walking 18 holes could have some meager benefits for a guy that literally does nothing all day every day.

Golf is mentally challenging more than physically challenging. If you can play a round of golf without once considering breaking a club or throwing them into a lake, you're doing pretty good.

In retrospect I wish I'd learned to play as a kid, wish my Pops had played. Starting at 58 I feel like I missed out on a lot of good times. It would have been cool playing with the old man..think he'd of loved the game. It is definitely far more of a mental than physical game. Nevertheless it does require physical prowess and discipline to execute the mental plan effectively.

So yeah it's not about exercise ..it's a very social thing ....very fun way to spend some time with the buds.

On the business side...as a salesman, in the past I've always had to bow out...that always felt kind of lame...

I've now had the opportunity to make an ass out of myself in China a few times on my Vendors dime...they make a pretty big deal of it over there and spend the duckets doing it...caddies n everything. pretty bomb courses too!

One of my vendors is coming to Cali end of the month and I get to reciprocate.

Now that I've studied Jordan Spieth for 3 hours I think I have it all dialed in for breaking 100...yeah baby!

I've never been on a golf course. I have smacked golf balls with clubs, but not on a golf course. I tried to go to a course once, but the golf clown pants wouldn't fit so I had to leave that respectable joint or the bouncers would have roughed me up.

Why would you assume people golf for fitness?? I'll consume more calories in the beers I drink than I burn walking around 18 holes and swinging a club. :rolleyes:
I don't - that's the point, golf gains you nothing in any other aspect. You develop a skill that's absolutely useless for anything else. If, for example, you regularly train cardio and weights it enhances your overall fitness and well-being.

It's a mystery to me why golf enjoys the status it does.

But then humans do a lot of things that I find dumb.

I learned to play golf in my mid 20's, it was sort of expected of me. My in-laws own and live on their golf course. As a new member of the family I felt it was a good idea to learn. Over the years I enjoyed playing on leagues when I was in the AF but since my back surgery in 2012 can no longer play.

Back