Golden Age Pre 73 Power Adapter Europe/US Converter

Potsy24

Quick question: I just bought a second Pre 73 on CL, and it came from the UK originally. The previous owner was just using the original UK power supply with a two prong US adapter (picture attached). Is this ok to continue using this? I would think the worst that could happen is that I could fry the power supply, but I don't want to damage the preamp. I would be plugging it into a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner if that makes a difference.

If the last guy didn't explode the pre with this thing, it's probably fine. But I figured I'd ask the experts just to be safe.

IMG_04061.jpg

I don't understand. A uk PSU would have the 3 pin male part. What's that white plastic 3 pin female doing?

What's the input voltage rating on the unit?

Sorry, he was from the UK, but maybe the preamp wasn't. It has a 2 prong plug going into the white adapter. The power rating on the power supply is 230-240 V and puts out 24V, which is what the preamp needs.

You won't immediately damage it or anything, but running the psu on 110 probably isn't great in the long term.
Usually if a device is happy anywhere, it'll be marked with 50/60hz and maybe 100-240v.

A lot of companies use the same transformer for uk/us, but set up with different primary windings.
If GAP have done this, you should be able to switch the wiring from series to parallel, and switch the fuse.

I had a quick google there and couldn't find anything solid though. Might be worth pursuing.

As long as the rating in amps is higher than required, I can't see why that wouldn't be fine.
It has to fit too, obviously! :p

Yep, it fits. The measurements for the connector are the same (5.5mm OD, 2.5mm ID, 10mm L). I'll order instead of using the plastic plug adapter. Thanks for your help!

I hate to bring up the obvious question of AC or DC and polarity... but I just have to

Sorry, this is not my area of expertise, so I don't know what the obvious question is in regards to AC/Dc or polarity. At any rate, that adapter did not work. First the unit didn't power on, so I tried plugging the adapter into my other Pre-73 (to make sure the pre wasn't DOA), and it actually sparked when I tried to plug it in. Looks like the connector is slightly different. Possibly a little narrower and has 2 pins on the inner barrel instead of a solid ring like the original TDC adapter.

I'm still looking for a replacement for this power adapter. Should I get a 110 to 220 converter and continue using the European power adapter with that? Something like this:

SAMSONITE 50 WATT STEP UP TRAVEL CONVERTER 110 to 220 VAC - FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Ok, so a "switching adapter" (which is what I bought) turns the AC power into DC power. The Pre-73 needs AC power, which is why this didn't work. Apparently this is what MOFO Pro was talking about. I know this is obvious to most people that will read this, but hopefully the next guy that doesn't know this will find this post. So I need to find an AC to AC adapter that has an output of 24V and at least 1.75A. That shouldn't be too hard.

Ok, I finally figured it out. The Pre-73 doesn't actually need a 1.75A power supply, that's just what it happens to come with. If you check out the PS-AC4 (4 channel power supply made by GAP), each channel only gets 24VAC @ 500mA. So, obviously it can get by with way less than 1.75A. Which is good news because it's pretty hard to find an adapter rated that high. I also couldn't find anywhere if the connector is upposed to be 2.1mm ID or 2.5mm ID. But I found this:

24 VAC 1200mA AC Adapter 120-1170

It's an adapter with an output of 24VAC @ 1200mA and has a 5.5mm/2.5mm connector. It also comes with a 5.5mm/2.1mm adapter just in case. Finally, I think I've got it.

Polarity is usually marked on a unit with a diagram.
It'll point out that the inside of the little power jack is + and the sleeve is -, or vice versa.

This doesn't apply to AC.

I'd forget about any mains converters/adapters or any of that.
The pre73 itself doesn't care about your mains voltage, as long as it sees 24v AC.

Pick up a wall wart that runs on your native voltage and socket type, which outputs 24v AC, > 500ma, if that's what the Pre73 requires.

EDIT.
I read a few posts saying the unit draws 750ma, so I'd definitely recommend looking for a 1 amp psu.

Back