GoinHome Vocal Pre-Mix - Comments Needed

GuitarTricks

ok.... I've spent some more time on this. Don't know if anybody remembers but I uploaded it previously as an instrumental when I first started on it and used some excellent advice from here to improve on it.

I added sound effects to fill in some of the blank spots and tried to do a preliminary vocal.
I'm basically interested in comments on the overall 'feel' of the song... especially where the vocals are concerned. I've still gotta add some higher harmonies in the last 2 verses etc... but need some comments on the vocals in general and whether they fit properly. (I ain't no singer & I'm using a cheap Aria microphone)
Plus, I'm only using a Mac G3, a 6 channel mixer and a pair of headphones so I'm needing comments on the mix from people with half decent monitors.

This latest version is at:

There's also a full studio log with previous recording as I worked on it for anybody that's interested....

http://www.itsmynewsletter.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=48&domain=23&webdir=schmange

Peace & Grooviness
schmange

Schmange's Guitar Tricks
http://www.schmange.com

Saturday, June 8, 2002
10:31:17 AM

Major thanks in advance for any help or comments

Couldn't Hear The Entire Thing

Hey Tricks -- I started listening and the first 10 seconds got my attention, but then it stopped -- (Damn Computers!) -- Do you have a "Lo-Fi" version available? Because of my connection, I can't listen to Hi-Fi.

Anyway, the guitar and the sound effect at the beggining was cool and I wanted to hear the rest ...

I'm no singer myself, but I think you'd get better results if you lift your volume some (voice-wise I mean not the mix) - you are btw a singer, you have good steady breath control, even at low volume, and a very good voice.

that kicks a little in your face and punchy in my opinion, other than that everything sounds good, I like it, Pink Floydy sounding.

That guitar lead has that nice airy- distant sound that just floats, I've tried but can never get that sound right. If you can do it WITHOUT loosing that sound, try panning about 10 - 20% to one side, just to see how it sounds.

@ around 4:15 there's that clunky sound, I don't really like that, but that's just knit picking.

Very slick-pro sound you got there. I can hear everything clearly. If you forced me to critique-I guess I would say; the vocal sound is kind of wierd-its like its whispering but loud at the same time??! I would try to set it in the pocket a bit more. The snare doesnt sound too exciting-maybe a touch more high end on it? And I'm not a big fan of that rockman sounding processed guitar-but overall this has a real polished sound, it sounds like a movie soundtrack. Nice outro shredding. Good sound overall.

I remember your earlier version...and it seems like the music has lost some of the dynamics since then. The vocals are ok...but it sounds like you tried to doctor them up with the reverb, and they're pretty crispy. The mix in general has a substantial amount of reverb on it too...and that's coming from Mr. Reverb, himself!!:p :p

the kick drum is still pretty snappy sounding, and the high hat keeps on chugging out those 16th notes....

I like sound effects...so those are cool with me. ..they're more like audio clips, super imposed on top of a music bed, however.

Getting back to your vocals..I feel the need to hear a scream up TWO octaves of what you are doing... I think you could keep "doctoring" up your vocals with some doubling, and unisions up higher...at least an octave.

I suppose you'll get more "top gun" comments too.....as Cruise rides off on his motorcycle...with the jet in the background, with the earie colors in the sky....

heh.... the vocals are a major pain in the arse for me :)

In my head when I listen to the instrumental I hear the guy from U2 singing it, but when I try to do that my voice cracks and I cough my guts out.

On the last 2 verses etc, I'm gonna add some harmonies cause it needs more emphasis, so hopefully, it'll work out ok. I know for sure I'm gonna be stuck doing falsetto or neuter my balls or something so I can sing higher...blah :)

LIke you said too, the overall mix has to be fiddled with some more now that the main vocals are done. Some of the instruments have to be made more prominent in certain places.... but that's kinda what I expected since I need to hear the vocals first to know how to mix the background.

oh well.... at least nobody's said it sucks yet... so I guess that's a promising beginning.

Thanks for the help and any more comments appreciated.

Peace & Grooviness
schmange

Schmange's Guitar Tricks

Sunday, June 9, 2002
2:12:51 AM

> Hey Tricks -- I started listening and the first 10 seconds got my
> attention, but then it stopped -- (Damn Computers!) -- Do you have a
> "Lo-Fi" version available? Because of my connection, I can't listen to
> Hi-Fi.
>
> Anyway, the guitar and the sound effect at the beggining was cool and I
> wanted to hear the rest ...

jeez... bummer.
I don't know what to suggest. I don't wanna post a lo-fi version online cause it sounds like crap, but if you wanna email me with your address, I can send ya something by email...
like, basically drop it down to a lower quality mp3 or whatever. It'll sound like crap tho.... like it's underwater.

Peace & Grooviness
schmange

Schmange's Guitar Tricks

Sunday, June 9, 2002
2:17:25 AM

Hey Tricks,

Check your PM -- No worries about the "lo-fi" mix -- I would still like to take a listen (even if it does sound "underwater" lol)

Thanks

Back