going to the studio for a week. suggestions?

lannydee

I'm taking the bus down to good ol' alabama next month to record. It's with a friend who've I've known forever who's had a tough winter and he gave me an awesome deal to come record and stay with him for a week. I've been preparing this material for years and it's finally ready. It's not really intended for released. More just something for me to have and look back on. I've spent time in studios with a couple bands through my teenage years. Even have had to the pleasure of recording/mixing/mastering an album at Indiana University's recording studios (which are like 1000 feet underground). This however is the first time I'll be venturing into the studio completely alone to do all the guitar, bass, drums , keys, vocals, ect (as opposed to just bass and vocals and sometimes guitar lines). My producer will help me with some, but I need to be prepared. He know's all about recording live guitar (we'll be using an SM 57 with a VOX AC 30) .
I leave on the 7th of april which gives me enough time to have a regiment of how i should make use of my time. Any suggestions for a morning regiment would be perfect.
Besides practicing and practicing playing, what can I do to prepare myself for a week of recording/brain-storming/singing ? What should I have around that could really help me out ?
I plan on drinking lemon water, for my throat..that's about all I have though.
I can be a sloppy guitar player, but I know how to play what I play.
Just looking for advice! feel free to e-mail me at danoise.lee@gmail.com if you feel like replying that way. thanks

-danny

Have a plan for which songs you want to get done, chances are you won't get to all of them, not if you are doing all the parts yourself. Trying to do it all, you get tired out as the day goes along and start making mistakes. You'll end up doing 20 takes and trying to comp the best parts together to make one decent track. And geting more tired and sloppy.

I've already got all that ready really, even got my songs mapped out as far as how many measures of what, then drum changes (because we are making scratch drum tracks with a drum program first,then guitar, then we will redo the drums later. but yeah, I've had to make some sacrifices but I think I chose the best compositions in the end.

Aim small, miss small.

Focus...focus....focus....it's better to nail a few songs, than trying to do 10 and fall short on all of them.

Ive always been a fan of moving on to something different if you get stuck on a part. That or take a fresh air break .

Know when to move on.

lannydee

I'll assume you're recording to DAW so some personal hard drive's for back-up/archive would be good to bring.
Record everything.

Gary

Back