Going rate for an old Crate?

beaverbiscuit

Hey y'all, my cousin is interested in buying my old Crate G-212 from me. I could use the money for other stuff for my studio, but I don't know what's a fair price for such an old (but in good shape) amp. I was thinking something like $75. Any advice (other than "Since it's a Crate, just give it away" :rolleyes:)?

If you're selling it for only $75 then you must love your cousin. I have a Crate G40C that I use as a practice amp, and I know what kind of amp it is. I was amazed to see one actually sell for $100 in the used slot at GC about a year ago. (Actually it was $99.95)

The price on gear is going up, so I don't think you would be skinning your cousin if you went up at least another $20 depending on the shape that it is in.

I agree with Sonic Misfit. $75 seems dead cheap to me, but it might be just what your cousin needs. I wish I had a cousin like you with a Fender Prosonic he/she wasn't using.

Thanks for the input, y'all. Decided I'm going to let him have the amp for nothing, with the condition that if he ever decides he doesn't need it anymore he will contact me first. I can always borrow it if I need to, and he gets to use an amp (he's never had even a modest combo like this one before). Plus it's kinda nice to help out someone, too. Anyway, thanks for the advice, dudes :).

I have a fiddle playing cousin and a honkytonk piano playing cousin that come in handy from time to time so thats a good move in my book. Always keep family in your favor. Small price to pay for future session player.

i sold a cousin of mine a guitar (vintage gretch) a few years ago...didn't really want to but he kept on and on and on till he wore me down. The price was 250 bucks (damn sure a "cousin" price). the agreement was that he would pay me 50 bucks a month for 5 months and if he ever wanted to get rid of it he would come to me 1st. Well, he paid me $50 twice and sold it to someone else cause he owed me money on it.

moral of the story...watch out when your dealing with family...they will screw you quicker than a stranger

Not that I don't think your advice is good, jimistone, but the cousin in question in my scenario is a preacher. Besides, I trusted him before he became a man of the cloth. But thanks for the input anyway :).

Back