Going laptop...some advice please!

Bobsleigh

Hi!

Going from pc to laptop, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on the best solution for MIDI/audio recording.

Will a USB interface card, like the Yamaha UW500, bring the latency down to an acceptable level on a PIII 860 mhz laptop?

.Check it out here

And what about multitracking? Will I get as many tracks as on a PCI based soundcard?

If any of you have experience with this particular card, or any other USB systems in the 300-400$ price range, I'd love to hear from ya.

Cheers,
Bobsleigh

This is probably not what you want to hear, but my advice is...

Don't do it. Go back to desktop and stay away from laptop audio. There are a few decent usb modules out there for recording 2 to 4 tracks. Even a decent pcmcia card or two. But, the power is just not there (imo).......

yet.

No, that's not what I want to hear :-)

But you should think there's plenty of hardware power when the CPU is approaching the 1 ghz mark, and you have 256 MB of ram to play around with.

Guess the rather slow USB interface is the real bottleneck then.

But I really I want the advantage of bringing the laptop on stage with me, as a synth, sequencer and sampler.

Desktop just doesn't go there.

I'm getting a laptop, too

... for Christmas, so it will be my first foray into the world of PC recording. I'm very interested to know why it's NOT being highly recommended here. I just want to use it to multitrack at home - no on-stage sequencing, etc. I don't really understand what you mean about the USB stuff, either. Could someone explain??? In what way is it "a bottleneck?" Can I record unlimited tracks? Can I run a CD burner? Is there life on Mars? And yes, I have done searches on this site for all this information, but I'm still in the dark. (I still have a TASCAM 488 mkII!)

Bruce

Its pretty simple actually:

Transfer rate comparasin -

USB -> 12Mbits/sec (thats Megabits - not bytes)
Firewire -> 400Mbits/sec
PCI -> 33 to over 100 Mbytes/sec

8 bits equal one byte

4 tracks of 24bit audio recording at 96Khz (96,000 samples per second) would need a transfer rate of 9,216,000 bits per second (9Mbits/sec).

The number comes from 24bits x 96,000 samples per second x 4 tracks.

So you see with just 4 tracks you are almost reaching the bandwidth limit of the USB interface. Switching to 48Khz would give you roughly twice as many tracks.

The exponential difference in bus speed is what lets you get over 24 tracks with no problem on the PCI interface.

Please see my thread entitled:

"My piece of crap Audiosport Quattro." This might help shed light on some of the pitfalls you may experience with a USB port on a laptop.

The problems with laptop recording aren't necessarily in the hardware capability, etc. CONNECTIVITY seems to be the issue. Right now, I'm also having some COMPATIBILITY issues. My USB interface is quite the snob. It only wants to work for a particular type of program, and on a particular version of Windows.

Cheers,

Chess

You can get a decent performance from a laptop, ok so no way will it match a desktop - the hard drives are slower (4100rpm is typical) against 5400rpm, 7200rpm and 10.000rpm in desktops. And you are stuck with just a single drive (mostly).

I get at least 12 stereo 24bit 48k audio tracks with 3-4 waves plug ins in samplitude with my P111 750Mhz, 512Mb RAM Dell Inpsiron 5000e.

Soundcards pcmcia, Wami Box and VX Pocket.

I get very good latency for Reaktor with the Wami box, can't remember the delay in milliseconds but I barely notice it when I'm playing. But other soft synths like Vaz and Retro dont work so well.

I think the secret of a succesful laptop setup is the setup. I use a very stripped down W98Lite, have my audio on the drive edge, keep it defragged. Trial and error has shown me which tweaks work best for me.

I doubt I'll ever get more than 12 tracks with plugs, more without, but it's really all i need, infact I like the fact that there are limits, it kind of forces you to be more resoureful.

The RME Hammerfall soundcard looks a good one - pcmcia

cp

Laptop audio is perfectly viable- it is just a *completely* different world than desktop audio.

The main reason is that laptops are darn near impossible to upgrade at all. Second to that is that a laptop can cost twice as much as a desktop and have little more than half the performance. It just isn't a good deal - UNLESS you only have a laptop or you need the portability.

Since you are stuck with what you get in a laptop purchase it carfully if you have the choice. If you already have it...hope for the best. You can almost always get *something* out of it, but how much depends on a whole lot of factors: drive speed, bus speed, amount of RAM, etc.

Then the first thing you have to deal with is getting audio in and out of it since the onboard sound cards are never good enough. There are a growing number of devices out there now, but you have to be really careful about which one you buy. USB and Firewire audio is really new so there aren't a whole lot of experienced folks yet to offer good advice. Each device is optimized for different recording habits, though, so research them carefully.

I have a Tascam US-428 running into a Sony Vaio PIII 800 w/ 256 RAM and a 7200rpm drive. Audio runs on its own Windows ME install that is optimized for just audio. The US-428 hiccups occasionally when I am recording all 4 of its inputs at once, but I can usually avoid that by defragging regularly. It works like a charm at 2 tracks in- which is what I usually do. I haven't used the midi much yet, though, so I can't comment on how reliable that is.

I tested this system out and it maxs out at 22 tracks at 24 bits, 44.1kHz (with Cubase VST 5.1). Recording gets hairy around 16 tracks since you are nearing the disks capacity to read back that much audio. All that is without effects...which are mostly processor load, anyway.

With a desktop you could buy a faster hard drive, a motherboard with a faster bus, even make sure your different hard drives are on seperate cables. With a laptop you are stuck with what you have and either find some trick to squeeze one more drop of performance out of it or deal with the limitations.

They are different worlds. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Given that I could get 2 times more performance for my money out of a desktop, I still LOVE my laptop studio. But then, I wanted a laptop anyway and use it for a variety of other things, too.

Like recording while I am traveling on my holiday vacation, playing tunes through friends' stereos with the headphone out, and typing long posts...

Happy Solstice, (yup, this is the longest night of the year right now. Get out the coffee!)
Chris

I think a firewire capable laptop with the right equipment can perform just as good as a desktop unit....

Back