Going Analog....Reel to Reel or ADAT?

Joel Hamilton said:
This is absolutley all not true, except the part about ADAT being digital.
I was just talking about the amount of misinformation, presented as hard fact on messageboards. Why post at all if you dont know?

Well, if you substitute "ADAT lightpipe" for ADAT, it becomes true. I'm guessing that's what the poster meant.

dgatwood said:
Well, if you substitute "ADAT lightpipe" for ADAT, it becomes true. I'm guessing that's what the poster meant.

No, it doesn't. It just means that it has already been through the AD converters.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

U-Matic

Hi,

I just read that U-Matic used to be used for CD mastering. I had thought about getting a regular video setup but given up because of budget, although if I could use the video edit machines for mastering I may change my mind.

Can anyone tell me?
And how would that compare with 1/4" open rell masters for quality durability and compatibility with the industry?(manufacture)

Cheers

Jim

sjaguar13 said:
I bought a reel to reel recorder today. I do have another question, though. If I record on tape, how do I get it on to a CD? Wouldn't that just create the same problems as if I recorded it with a digital recorder?

You have a couple of options here. First is to get a stand alone CD recorder, and connect tape outputs to CD recorder inputs. Recorder does the A/D and makes the CD. You could also go through an analog mixer is that was needed for more than 2 tracks or mixing needs.

Second option is to connect to a PC and have it do the A/D conversion and CD burning. Most here would use the second approach, as home recording tends to be PC based in some form.

Ed

You still need to get the audio from the reel to reel to the computer, so an A/D conversion is necessary. However, the "flavor" of the tape machine will still be there after the conversion.

Back