godsmack sounding toms

an1989dy

I have a tama rockstar custom with remo pinstripe heads on my toms and i am trying to get them to sound more like the drums from music like godsmack and bands like that. Right now they just sound shitty because they all ring out too much through the mics. Is there a better way to tune them or should i use different heads, or is it the drums themselves?

Chances are that unless you use the same gear, recorded through the same gear, in the same "room", etc., etc., ad infinitum as the drummer in question, you won't get the same sound.

What you are hearing on (most recent) recordings has likely been "over-processed" by the time it is on a CD that it doesn't really sound anything like the original drum sound, also take into account that so much of the sound is the musician themselves rather than the gear they use.

:cool:

I don't know if this will work, but it got me closer to the sound you are describing.

Tune the batter sides down a bit, and the resonants up. A lot of it is experimentation. I'm using Aquarian Studio-X heads for batters, but I bet pinstripes aren't too different.

ausrock said:
Chances are that unless you use the same gear, recorded through the same gear, in the same "room", etc., etc., ad infinitum as the drummer in question, you won't get the same sound.

What you are hearing on (most recent) recordings has likely been "over-processed" by the time it is on a CD that it doesn't really sound anything like the original drum sound, also take into account that so much of the sound is the musician themselves rather than the gear they use.

You are wise!

It still blows me away that there are some peope who belive CDs and albums are recorded by the band sitting in a room playing as a group and the engineer just presses "record" and gets it all in a single pass to a stereo track. (Not saying that's what an1989dy is like!) I met a guitarist years back who, when I showed him overdubbing on my 4 track, asked "how is that possible?".

There are some guys who belive what they see in a music video is the same as used in the studio.

Anyone remember the 'milk' drum from the J. Geils video in the 80s? I had a friend who would stay up nights trying to figure out how the got it to make a drum sound.

A drum full of milk...

Wow.

thanks for the help. I'm not as interested in his recorded sound, as much as i am with his live sound. mine have too much ring. would a gate help?

It might have something to do with the quality of your tom mics, as well as where you point them. I think you're looking for a more "isolated" tom sound. You could try pointing the tom mics more directly into the heads. Also, I don't know if you are micing anything else on the drum set. But overhead micing usually isn't necessary for a live sound, so just incase you are doing that, don't. Your toms might be bleeding through into other mics, which could result in more resonation. However, if you aren't using any overhead mics, then I probably didn't help you at all. lol sorry if that's the case.

ausrock said:
What you are hearing on (most recent) recordings has likely been "over-processed" by the time it is on a CD that it doesn't really sound anything like the original drum sound

That is exactly right.

Its equally important to take into consideration the manipulation of the track as well as the gear and room used.

This could equate to any number of manipulations and gear used.

Making your question nearly impossible to answer.

an1989dy said:
thanks for the help. I'm not as interested in his recorded sound, as much as i am with his live sound. mine have too much ring. would a gate help?

How tight do you tune them? I can't imagine pinstripes would have that much ring unless they are pretty tight. You might want to loosen them until they are almost "flappy".

Also, what sizes are you using?

Is it the sound of the toms themselves or the sound of the toms mic'ed?
If it's the mic'ed sound you don't like,try pointing the tom mics more toward the center of the drum and not down close to the rim.

And I hate to keep repeating but tuning is very, very important.
I'm not a drummer but I bought a cheap kit just to have at home for recording and and have spent the last couple of months tuning and re-tuning. I've muted them, I've recorded them wide open, I even took the bottom heads off. I got me some of those StudioX heads and I really like the sound and ring control. I have read the drum tuning bible twice(i still don't get it :confused: ) and I will continue to learn by experimenting but I can say that tuning is most important.

Back