God-awful humming/ground loop? USB?

Sultan5000

I put this here because I use Sonar; however, the problem is hardware oriented...

Looking for help if any of y'all have seen this:

Equipment: eMachine 1.99/Edirol UA1A USB Interface/Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

Having intermittent humming injected into system at 3 different A/C sources. Have isolated computer/Mackie Mixer and prob isn't in either soloed. Seems to be a problem only when I hook up everything via USB interface. Don't know much about ground loops, but maybe??...

I mentioned the prob is intermittent...yes, sometimes there is no problem...Geez, I need a solution folks!

Thanks...

Sultan5000 said:
Would anyone suggest a PCI audio interface as opposed to USB?
I would always suggest a PCI interface. I really don't like USB for audio... but if it's the cause of your humming, I don't know.

When it is humming, is there another device in your house that may be the source? Such as a "light dimmer" switch. They are notorious.

When humming starts, try moving every wire you can see to try to localize it to possible intermittant cable. Focus on the ends of each wire where the various plug connections are.

If not help there, try moving your AC wires in different directions, etc...to see if that may be the source.

Hope this helps.
rick west

Is the humming still present if you bypass the soundcard (and connect all the other equipment togheter)?

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

This is strange, but I actually seem to be picking up CPU noise. There is a hum, but also crackling that changes with whatever is going on...example, if the mouse pointer is moving, the sound is changing...even Moskus' spinning GIF is causing changes as I type...

NOTE: I don't hear the noise when I plug phones directly into the audio out! Remember, I am using USB. That is when the problem appears.

I know I need to go sound card as opposed to USB anyway, so how about a suggestion...or maybe I"ll just search around on the Soundcard thread for that...Has anyone ever heard of a noisy USB?

Sultan5000 said:
This is strange, but I actually seem to be picking up CPU noise. There is a hum, but also crackling that changes with whatever is going on...example, if the mouse pointer is moving, the sound is changing...even Moskus' spinning GIF is causing changes as I type...
It could be bad drivers for the USB unit. Have you updated it? What if you move the USB soundcard to another USB connection?

If you want a good PCI soundcard, I suggest you check out M-Audios Audiophile 2496. :)

Well, Moskus, you may be right regarding the drivers; however, I am just minutes away from ordering that exact Audiophile card you have suggested. Seems nearly everyone endorses it on this forum, plus I read a great review on it last night. Regardless of whether that is the whole problem, I need to go PCI. Seems no one would suggest USB around here...

If that doesn't kill all of the prob, I will get a Hum Eliminator from EbTech. Do you have any experience with one of those?

Problem remedied. I broke the ground on one end, the mixer end. I'm okay since mixer is grounded via PC. Humming/noise completely stifled!

Oh, Moskus and others, I did get that Audiophile card but am having trouble with it. Please see my question on this forum.

Back