Go High or Go Long????

stoctony

In my vast plethra of knowledge (yeah right) I have learned from reading Ethan and Johns stuff that you want to set your desk for your room at paralell with the longest dimension. In other word I have an 13 X 15 room. So I would put my desk on the 13 ft wall. Well I also learned that if you have a cathedral ceiling you want to have your desk at the lower end and project to the higher end. Here is my delema......I cant both. I can only do one or the other. So which has more effect. Please help. Thanks in advance

stockton

I would go with the ceiling :) 2' wont cost you much but that ceiling will piss you off should the back of the room/ceiling reflect back into your mix position.

Hmmmm

I got another question concerning this....I have one side of my room as concrete and padded with insulation and the other end is padded, but it's a sound blanket and then the rest of the room (basement). So, to make it clearer, I have probably like a 10 x 6 foot room (I know, small) and 3 of the walls are padded and concrete, but the 4th wall (the 6' side) is kinda like "open," but will have a blanket or 2 to close it off. Should I put the desk there or at the other end with all the padding? Hope that question is easy to visualize. Thanks.

Joe

It's easy to visualize. I had to do it for a while before I built my 1st studio. Only problem was all that sound leaking through the blanket still confused my image and made my midrange sound off.

I would put something heavier up than just a blanket. if you have some VERY heavy acoustical curtain that will help with the damping as well.

Not the best but it will help and put your mix position with your back to that opening.

BTW I came up some some realtively decent mixes in that kind of a set-up. Also had to record an album like that. The key thing is come mix time, turn the volume DOWN!!!!!!. I monitored around 78 during the project I mixed under those circumstances. I'd put it up on my site as a sample but I despise the mix. Due to the poor room I used. (I might anyway to show people what a crappy room will give you if you are patient and take your time. Heck the track went Gold. So I aint totally mad.)

giles117 said:
It's easy to visualize. I had to do it for a while before I built

Not the best but it will help and put your mix position with your back to that opening.

Not sure I understand...so you're saying to put my back and the monitors facing the open area, rather than the concrete and cushioned part of the walls?

Hey Giles,

Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind, should I load that back where the wall and ceiling meet with plenty of 703? Also, so does that slope work kinda as a funnel and then have plenty of 703 to trap all in that corner? thanks for the help

Stockton

Hmm it never posted.

Brother NT...yes that is what I am saying, put your back to that open space and your monitors facing that open space. That you are gonna trap with the curtain or drape (use as many thick ones as you can. :)

Stoc. yes you should load that back wall with 703, etc. to keep that sound from coming back and trap that slpoed ceiling as well. especiallythat rear downwrad slope.

Back