Gluing a plastic pot shaft back together

notCardio

I walk the line
Title 'splains it.

I broke the plastic shaft on a pot on a mixer. I'd rather not have to take it all apart to replace the pot. What would be the best kind of glue to use on it? Can't be anything gloppy, as the knob has to be able to go back on the shaft. Also, it's broken just below the plane of the mixer case, so I don't want to glue it to the case.

Super glue? Model airplane glue? (Do they even still make that stuff?) Acetylene welder?

Acetylene will work but you have to turn up the oxygen bottle to about 25 psi and use a cutting tip... :o The knob will become one with the mixer. :eek:

Super glue works good on plastic, a small drop is all you need. Repair may not hold with all the twisting the knob takes so you may want to look into how hard it is to replace.

Superglue seems to worry a bit about the type of plastic involved--to date I've had a 50/50 success rate using it for the sort of job you're talking about. One was better than new, they other barely held at all.

I guess you lose nothing by trying but, as you've already said, you have to be very careful no extra glue gets on the outside of the shaft.

As an aside, about 3 years ago I repaired the plastic shaft on one of those mini blender things and it lasted perfected until a few weeks back when it broke again. However the new break was in a different place so I guess with the right glue, super glue is stronger than the plastic they use!

Can you post up a picture? I'm curious.

I'll try. I forget, isn't there some size limit on pics here? But then, I don't want it to be huge anyway. What would be a good size to make it? I'm clueless when it comes to pixel size.

Zaphod B used to resize my stuff for me. :o

Whatever happened to him? I haven't heard from him in years!

Zaphod B used to resize my stuff for me. :o

Okayyyy, I'm not gonna ask. :) Just kidding.

I shoot for 600x800 pixels. File size around 150k.

I use photoshop elements to resize pictures, but I'm sure there are other methods available. Maybe search through Download.com for a free picture editor.

I'm gonna have to try again tomorrow. It came out way too dark and blurry using my phone, so I'll have to break out the good camera and get some decent lighting on it. Turns out it's not below the surface of the case, but it's still pretty darn near flush with it.

I shoot for 600x800 pixels. File size around 150k.

\o/ yay !!!

plenty times i go into threads and wait ages for huge pics to load,then some clown or 3 quotes the whole post in its entirety ...

they should be taken outside and shot ... all of em ..

edit:- ooo btw photobucket has an option to resize pics to common forum formats :)

I find the best way to post photos is to up load them to a sharing site (I use Photobucket but others work too) then get the "direct" link and is the IMG command to embed them (That's the picture of the picture on the menu bar).

I also aim for 800px being the maximum dimension and let the other one go from there. I do my resizing in Photoshop but Photobucket can do it for you too.

(Though I'm not sure why we need a pic of a plastic pot shaft!)

Back