Glossy Alt Pop - Please Review "Saddest Quo"

Nice tune, overall decent basic idea for a mix - however there's a lot of spikes (ouch!) that need to be tamed with eq. If you don't hear them there's either an issue with your monitoring setup or your hearing.

First time I've done a cover, but felt compelled to change up the arrangement a little bit.

Saddest Quo by Evan Lesser on SoundCloud - Hear the world

I'd really be interested in your comments on the performance, vocals, harmonies, as well as the mix and mastering. This song was completed in about 8 weeks. My setup consists of an M-Audio Firewire 410, Rode NT1, ART ProChannel, Fender Nashville Tele, and a Fender Jazz bass.

Thanks so much for listening!

Great harmonies and playing, and covering Joe Pernice is a real challenge - but you did a great job overall. There's a lot of high end harshness, some of it a little painful. Profile says Atlanta- anyone else play on this, I've got tons of friends there.

Yeah I agree with the other comments so far. Great performance but some brittleness on the high end. Vocals need de-essing. But I really like the recording otherwise. Get the hot S's out of the vocal and smooth out the high end a bit and it will be really good

Thanks guys for the comments. Some of the high end on the vocals is intentional. The original artist behind this cover does some weird thing with his vocals I can't figure out. He either whispers a second doubled vocal track, and then compresses the hell out of it; or, he sings a second doubled vocal track, and then intentionally makes it "lo-fi." I went for the latter approach and probably over did it. I do have some high end hearing loss (years of playing live music and genetics) so you may hear more harshness than I do.

Nobody else in Atlanta played on it. Just me, myself, and I..

Thanks again for the comments!

Back